would the jotul f45 greenville suffice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

munkyboi

Jan 18, 2014
New York
hi all,

i am a new member from lower hudson valley area in NY and i am also new to fireplace/stove. after contemplating on the insert and pellet stove, i have arrived to the decision to get a stand alone wood stove and keep the original fireplace the way it is.

the main level of our house is about 1800 sq ft and the lower level is a 400 sq ft walk out basements which we hardly spend any time there. it is an open floor plan single level contemporary ranch style house and you can pretty much see one side of the house to the other side of the house through the hallway. we plan to install the stove at one side of the house where the living/dining rooms are and we don't really need the bedrooms which are on the other side of the house to be that toasty.

i went to a nearby dealer to look at various stoves and i have narrowed down my choice to the jotul f45 greenville or the jotul f55 carrabassett. according to the specs sheet, the f55 would heat up to 2500 sq ft and the f45 would heat up to 1600 sq ft.

i really like the smaller size of the f45 but i am wondering if it would generate enough heat for my purpose. in addition, if i get the f55, would the room where the stove is become too hot since it generates more heat than the size of my house?

any insights and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
alex

Reactions: Valhalla
I think the F-45 would be undersized for the task. Given the size and the location of you home, I'd go with the 55. Just don't put a full load in it on warmer days.

Agreed. In milder weather you do not need to run the stove with a full load of wood and you can select the species you are burning for less heat.

Agreed. In milder weather you do not need to run the stove with a full load of wood and you can select the species you are burning for less heat.

Thanks you all for the responses.

Since the f55 is rated for 2500 Sq ft and my house is 1800 Sq ft. Does it mean that I would be potentially underburning the f55 and cause creosote issue?

Not necessarily. Ratings are very general because there are so many variables. Climate, house insulation, glass exposure, ceiling height, floor plan, wood species being burned, stove location, stove operation, etc. all affect how much area will actually be heated. If you want a stove in between the F45 and F55 in size consider a Napoleon 1400C or a PE Alderlea T5. These are 2 cu ft stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.