Wow! I Just Got My New Wilton Bash Splitting Maul!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Wow! I Just Got My New Wilton Bash Splitting Maul and is it a piece of junk! This is the worst performing piece of metal I've ever owned, next to that '63 Chevy. It goes back tomorrow!

From one standpoint it's very well made, but for splitting performance the Fiskers X-27 beats it hands down and at 2 pounds lighter.

I thought the extra weight would give the Bash an edge on the large stuff but The head and blade of the Bash are too wide to penetrate the wood very well. The blade is blunt. I mean flat square, no edge, no way to get an edge without grinding a pound of metal off. If you were Paul Bunyan, standing as tall as a mountain and could swing with the force of a tornado you might split something with it. I think I would do just as well trying to split a round with a baseball bat.

The Bash is a Bust, save your money it aint't worth it!!!::-)

Last edited:
Ouch!

Oh man so you actually got one! I was wondering if you would go through with it. Well thanks for the honest review! It definitely had my interest peaked but I now know that when it comes time to devote money to a maul, it will be a Fiskars.

Well that stinks. And I know you been splitting some bigguns so I'm sure you were hoping for better.

On a side note I don't get the whole "the duller the better" thing when it comes to mauls. If the idea is to separate and wedge the wood apart I don't want a sledge hammer. I touched the edge on mine up and it was much much better. That said I like the Fiskars for most stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.