Wye strainer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindauch

Feb 7, 2008
Marcy NY
I have a two part question. Is it a good idea to install a wye strainer in my system. If so then where should I locate it? On the supply side or on the return?

Not a bad idea, even on brand new systems it can help catch any debris or solder balls left behind :)

Another product is the Jomar Filter ball valve. It has a removal screen inside the ball. Fairly small capacity but nice for a start up runs. Operate the system for a day or so then remove the strainer and you still have an isolation valve.

www.jomar.com/products/pdf/Finished PDF - for review/T-100FB.pdf

On systems with old piping, radiators, boiler, etc consider a device like the Caleffi Dirtcal. It doesn't plug and cause flow restriction like a y strainer might. It can also do some air elimination and has a blow down valve included. Sort of 3 components in one.

Here is a link to it's features.

www.caleffi.us/caleffi/en_US/Site/P...s~news_detail_0000243/type/newshome/index.sdo

hr

Thanks for the info. I already purchased a Spirovent air eliminator so I'll put a Wye strainer on the input side of the manifold.

locust loco said:
in hot water said:
On systems with old piping, radiators, boiler, etc consider a device like the Caleffi Dirtcal. has a blow down valve included. Sort of 3 components in one.

Here is a link to it's features.

www.caleffi.us/caleffi/en_US/Site/P...s~news_detail_0000243/type/newshome/index.sdo

hr

I like the concept of this device. What do they cost?

Ron

They are sold through distribution. At the Caleffi website you can go to the dealer locator for your area.

While you are there download the free I-dronics series #1, 2 &3;. they are packed full of technical training and concepts.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.