XXV and Humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wporter4

Sep 12, 2011
Western Ma
Hello

Second post - anyone put a steamer or kettle on top of the XXV to put moisture back into the room? I have the enameled XXV and don't want to mess with the finish.

Thanks

I do not have a Harman, but I do not believe that it would get any where near hot enough to boil water. If you did it it would be for aesthetics only. Personally I would skip the aesthetics and not risk the damage to the enamel and purchase a floor model humidifier. My 2 cents.

Congrats on your new stove!! Where is the pics of it?

My XXV does not have the enameled finish, but the top does not get hot enough for a kettle.
With the exception of the glass front, the top and sides can be touched while it is running.

tinkabranc said:
Congrats on your new stove!! Where is the pics of it?

My XXV does not have the enameled finish, but the top does not get hot enough for a kettle.
With the exception of the glass front, the top and sides can be touched while it is running.

The top and sides are that cool? I've only had mine installed for a few days and it has only been on twice for a short period of time each and it was too warm to touch. Maybe it's the differences in design?

The XXV is cast so the top/sides do not get "as hot" as some of the other models like the P-series.

Even if this was a Woodstove that had a 500-700* stove top. The amount of moisture let out by a Steamer or kettle, is barely enough to moisturize a small room. Let alone your house. I have a Lasko unit that holds almost 5 gallons. With it on Med, it keeps our 2,200 sq ft (upstairs) about 40-50% humidity. That's putting about 6 gallons of moisture in the air (unit must be completely filled every 8-12 hrs on Med setting) on high it does 9 gallons in 24 hrs.

You can do it for looks. Get a trivet and a steamer. It will never boil over. So it won't hurt the finish. But I would personally spend the money on a good unit that does your whole home. My lasko was just under $100 (I think about $80 something??)

Thanks for the reply everyone. DexterDay - do you know what model your Lasko is?

First picture of the stove attached - I will add a few more this evening

Attachments

• IMG-20110906-00110.jpg
    IMG-20110906-00110.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 212
I got it from Menards. One of the biggest models they had. I will look when I get home this evening and post the Model # for you. Has a handy little removable filling jug, that holds 1.5 gallons. So you can just fill it a couple times and not make a big mess. Pretty handy. I will post a pic of the unit and the removable filling jug that acts as an extra 1.5 gallon resiviour. As soon as you set it back in the unit, it empties itself (depending on the internal water level) until the water reaches the "Full" level. Once the unit is Full I remove the Jug and top it off. That way as the unit uses the water, the jug continues to fill.
There are bigger units that hold more water and can put more moisture in the air. But this one is pretty large. A little under 3 ft wide and about 1.5 ft tall. Its a wicking filter type. So its not just throwing water in the air. Those little humidifiers or "Mister's" are not the efficient and they will get the carpet and walls wet in front of it. Also they only hold a gallon or 2 of water. Lots of filling everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.