XXV exhaust gasket leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
Noticed the other day there is a very very light amount of exhaust escaping into my house from the exhaust gasket on my XXV. I tried tightening the bolts but still having a leak. Any suggestions? My stove is only 2 months old...could the gasket be bad? Is that covered under warranty?

Although I don't know the Harman warranty too well, I would think that most everything is covered in the first 2 months......check your owners manual and call your dealer.

Can you put a bead of hi-temp silicon sealant around the leaking joints for a temporary fix?

Possibly a bad gasket; or the metal gasket surfaces on the stove or cast tailpipe may be slightly warped or cracked.

very cheap part, very easy to fix...most dealers should have the gasket......did you self-install, or did the dealer install it? If the dealer installed it,t hen they should be back fixing it.....if you installed it, probably not. The thing is, on an XXV, the exhaust nipple is shipped loose, and the installer puts it and the gasket on, if needed (some XXV's utilize the Top Vent Kit, in which you wouldnt use the exhaust nipple).....so, if the dealer installed it, its his fault....if you installed it, maybe had a torn or kinked gasket, etc......I think this is an installer issue

very cheap part, very easy to fix…most dealers should have the gasket…...did you self-install, or did the dealer install it? If the dealer installed it,t hen they should be back fixing it…..if you installed it, probably not. The thing is, on an XXV, the exhaust nipple is shipped loose, and the installer puts it and the gasket on, if needed (some XXV’s utilize the Top Vent Kit, in which you wouldnt use the exhaust nipple).....so, if the dealer installed it, its his fault….if you installed it, maybe had a torn or kinked gasket, etc…...I think this is an installer issue

I installed it myself, so perhaps I did something to mess it up? I presume since you said it's easy to fix and an installation thing it's probably not covered under warranty?

I thought about putting a small bead of hi-temp silicone caulk but would rather not go that route.

most likely the gasket is torn or wrinkled......you can replace it, or try to fix it with silicone......just shut the stove down, let it get cold, take the 3 bolts out holding the nipple in place, and inspect......either attempt to repair the gasket with the silicone, or get a new one from your local trustworthy dealer......most likely not warranteeable, because usually when these gaskets go, its an installation issue.......

if I'm not mistaken, the exhaust flange and gasket usually are not attached to the stove in the box. Any chance that the leak is actually at the intersection of the flange and the 1st piece of pipe (this is hands own the most common spot for a leak to occur)? Maybe the silly-cone shrank a bit on curing and you just need to add a lil dab.

Status
Not open for further replies.