XXV lazy flame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlightning

Oct 20, 2015
Ny
The flame on my xxv seems to be a bit lazy on the left side. I just cleaned the stove because it didn't seem to be running normally ( well the way it's run all year). After start up the flame was licking around the bottom of the burner on the left side. The glass was stained on that side right after start up as well,it's the first time that's ever happened. Any advice greatly appreciated. Hope anyone with more knowledge than me can make some sence of my post. 49982de95fe690c8235d7aa971eda08f.jpg

Fill in some details of your setup in your signature so we can know things like Age, Make etc for future reference
If the stove is more than five years old the gaskets can be leaking letting air in around the door instead of through the fire pot. Dollar bill test is in order.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Sorry it's a harmon Xxv. Installed 02.14.09. I bought the home 5 months ago and have never had a stove. I tried to educate myself some on this site as to how they work. Stove seems to have been working great (about 1.5 tons of barefoots this season). I turn it down at bedtime and back up when I leave for work for the wife and kids. She then turns it down till I get home. I run the stove on manuel mode in room temp with the temp at about 78. That keeps the room around 68 or so.

Reactions: Redlightning
So a 6 plus year old unit. Yes it could use probably new gaskets. What setting is your fuel rate at. Most have good results with it set at 4. Have no idea of what your trying to heat that it can't get the room to what temp you set it at. Most stoves with newer owners still may be in need of a good cleaning. 1.5 tons the stove and venting is needing a very good cleaning probably IMO. I have yet to poke around a XXV. Changing title a bit to attract attention of like owners.
Welcome

Reactions: bogieb
Be sure to do the one for stove doors. Not the other one
Now we know most pellet stove owners have money to burn with fuel oil being so cheap. WA:)

Reactions: Redlightning
So a 6 plus year old unit. Yes it could use probably new gaskets. What setting is your fuel rate at. Most have good results with it set at 4. Have no idea of what your trying to heat that it can't get the room to what temp you set it at. Most stoves with newer owners still may be in need of a good cleaning. 1.5 tons the stove and venting is needing a very good cleaning probably IMO. I have yet to poke around a XXV. Changing title a bit to attract attention of like owners.
Welcome
It heats great. Just today the stove didn't seem to pep up when I turned the thermostat up. I run the feed on 3, but everything I've read says in room temp mode the feed rate is setup by the stove.

Been running my p68 in the basement all winter and that's been fine. I have it setup on room temp 55,feed rate 2,manuel with the fan on about medium. Keeps the basement 60(know one goes down there much) and only uses a bag a day.

P68 is a heat monster and is more forgiving. The feed rate can control the rate at which the stove can ramp up to temp. Give the stove a bit more reins and see if it can heat better. Seems each stove and model can have its quirks. I know of three firmware versions for the PC45

P68 is a heat monster and is more forgiving. The feed rate can control the rate at which the stove can ramp up to temp. Give the stove a bit more reins and see if it can heat better. Seems each stove and model can have its quirks. I know of three firmware versions for the PC45
Yeah p68 is in the basement. I checked with my harmon dealer and he agreed I should switch the stoves and put the XXV downstairs. Even though the wife thinks the xxv is a better looking stove. It's hard to move the heat from the basement up the stairs. My house is 3800sqft with half being the basement.

Dollar bill test failed on the side I thought it would. Have a new seal and imperial gasket cement. Just have to install but looks pretty straight forward.

I'd 2oz of cement enough to do two stoves or is a bottle for one. Just curious. Figured might as well do the p68 at the same time.

Red, Welcome! I also have a 68. I replaced the gaskets on my PC45 last fall and it is easy and straight forward. Just a little time and elbow grease. I had glue left over from a 2.5 oz. so it will be plenty for two stoves and then some. You do not need a lot but just run a nice tight smaller bead around the recess channel in your door and also do your ash pan doors while you are at it.

I am also doing my 68's doors and that stove was new last fall. The gasket looks to be thin and somewhat stretched from the factory and the dollar bill test showed it was weak on the latch side. Be sure to just lay the gasket like it wants to be naturally. Another words do not stretch it and pull it around as you install them. The glue really just holds it in place.

Gasket cement like caulking, silicone, and paint more is not really better. Be liberal with it but don't go overkill either. Good Luck! Your XXV should do your main floor without much of a problem unless you have a difficult floor plan and problems moving some air. Keep in mind that the farther you get from the stove in various rooms you will see temps decrease. Many times when it's cold outside I'll also keep the stat in the room with my P68 at 78*. The far reaches rooms will beat most 8* - 10* cooler but that is fine here. Most times there is only a 4* to 6* difference in temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.