Yankee Bay: intermittent auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinnacle

Oct 28, 2012
Hey,

I have recently purchased a used 2006 Lopi Yankee Bay insert pellet stove. The unit did not have the circuit board with it, so I purchased a new one from my local dealer. The stove does function, but it periodically will not turn the auger, and as a result, will run out of fuel and shut down.
When in normal operation, the control board has a light that comes on when the auger is to be energized. What I've noticed is that on occasion the control light will come on, but the auger itself will not turn. If I press the manual auger button, the auger will usually function, and then if I wait for the normal demand again the auger will turn as normal operation.
Ive ohmed the auger motor out and it seams fine, and I've marked the auger shaft with a pen to see if it continues to stall in the same spot (dead spot in motor?) without luck. Any idea if this is a controller problem or more likely an auger problem?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like an auger issue, or possibly a loose connection. If you remove the wires from the auger motor and run it with an electrical "test" cord (be careful!) plugged into straight 120 outlet, does it continue to run w/o interruption?

If so, check connections. If not, you might want want to pull the auger too to check for jams in the auger flight.

Since it's a used unit, there is also a possibility that the vacuum hose is partially clogged and is just on the verge of tripping the vacuum switch occasionally. Remove the end on the switch and blow through the hose....check both connection ends too.

With tube attached to the switch, a slight sucking on the other end should give you a click and ohmmeter should show 0 resistance.

I have a Lopi Pioneer, which is pretty much the same stove only smaller.

I had a similar problem and it was some old pellets stuck in the top auger bushing.

Remove the top of the auger tubr shield in the hopper and make sure all is clear up there.

I think the pellets got up there from moving the stove.

Other than that make sure the auger spins freely on the bushings, if it does not, then its time for new auger bushings like Scott said.

I oiled mine, they say you dont need to oil them, but it seemed to make them spin smoother.

I have not had any problems in the 2 seasons since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.