Yanmar Tractor 2820D

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Hello, I have the option to buy a 2820D yanmar 3 cyl diesel tractor with 4WD. It's either an 82 or 83 model, completely refurbished with 10 hours on a rebuilt engine (1300 hours on tractor). It's a grey market tractor with updated seatbelts, ROP, 33 HP, 4 Wheel drive and a loader. I think I can get it for 10,500 with a 5 ft brushhog. The tractor looks new and the previous owner paid 17k for the tractor but was too small. Anyone else out there with an older Yanmar?

Be wary about the grey market issue. Some importers refuse to service or support tractors imported through the back door. Not sure if Yanmar is among them.

Be wary about the grey market issue. Some importers refuse to service or support tractors imported through the back door. Not sure if Yanmar is among them.
I agree. I called around and parts are readily available for this model. A new equivalent Kubota runs about $26k. I went back today to look at it and not a drop of fluid from the tractor. I wasn't sure if anyone here is familiar with these tractors.

They aren't grey market and still sold new in the states. JD uses Yanmar engines in their small diesel tractors so filters and stuff is available from JD as well.

Last fall I purchased a Kubota M9000 open station, 85 pto, turbocharged 4x4 with a loader for 16K Needed some minor stuff, that was it. Probably too big for what you want.

You can find a lot of information about the Yanmar on Tractor By Net Forums, they have a Yanmar section.

I stopped in tonight to drive and test the tractor again. I ran it in 2wd, 4wd, tested the loader strength, put the PTO under load and inspected the engine fluids. It has zero leaks and almost looks new. It's a very stout tractor (was told the 950 john deere was basically the same tractor). I think I'm going to pull the trigger. It also had a new 160 koyker loader (almost 5000 new).

My only concern would be the clutch. Does it have the proper freeplay and engages smoothly? reason I say that is because if the clutch is at all wonky, replacing it requires that you split the tractor which is no easy task. Why I prefer a hydraulic shuttle over a dry clutch or in your case a hydrostat transmission (no clutch at all)

I agree and would like a hydrostatic transmission. Engaging and disengaging the clutch was very smooth. The gearing range is clutch and the remaining is hydraulics. No doubt it will take a while to get used to. I didn't feel anything when shifting into different gears.

Some of the yanmar had a power shift transmission. You dont have to use the clutch with them. As far as there engines go, they are some of the best. Right up there with kubota engines. I was told that a lot of grey market tractors of any brand usually come with deep tread rice tires. Most of the regular tractors had normal r1 ag tires.

Look into this carefully. I looked at one about a year ago. What I found out was that there are two factories rebuilding these tractors. One is in the US and is somewhat legit. The other is in Vietnam, and their rebuild mostly consists of replacing broken parts with parts off another junk tractor, turning the meter back, and painting the tractor.

There is quite a bit of info on the web, and one way to identify the VN tractor was by the brand of FEL.

Reactions: duramaxman05
This was my worry. I do not believe it is a VN tractor. I've been researching and the company who refurbished the tractor is here in the states (alabama). They are a reputable dealer.

Well....picked her up today! Its slightly larger than my oliver 55 diesel but heavier and 4 wheel drive. Just initial impressions it will be one tough tractor!

Attachments

• 41153.jpeg
    41153.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 483
  • received_195289001531064.jpeg
    received_195289001531064.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 199
  • received_223628832132934.jpeg
    received_223628832132934.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 221
That is about 30 steps above the VN rebuild I looked at. Congrats!
Thanks! I ended up at $11,500 including tax and a newer 6' brush cutter. The thing is a beast and will work well for what I need it for. Next purchase will be a grapple bucket.

Decent chains are a must for winter

With a grapple you'll need a third function. Does the unit have a third function installed?

Reactions: SpaceBus
With a grapple you'll need a third function. Does the unit have a third function installed?
Yes, it had an auxiliary valve on the fender which the previous owner used for a splitter. I can just run a hydraulic line to the front of the tractor. I gave it a workout today with some logs and my military trailer. Definitely the 4wd is the way to go!
41213.jpeg

I had a rebadged Yanmar ( JD 770 ) for about 12 years or so, and had zero problems with that machine. I bought a Yanmar YT347 a few years ago and I've had zero issues so far too. Yanmar make a very high quality product, they unfortunately aren't as good at marketing it like Kubota.

I think you made a good purchase.

Last edited:
That's nice to know! I've heard they are bulletproof.

Reactions: sloeffle