Yesterday the 52i Shut Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
Wife reported 5 blink code while I was at work. She said the stove would not start. Had her cycle the breaker for a hard reset, that put the 5 blink out. The stove was in room temp auto ignite. Moving selector from room temp to stove temp and back would kick the combustion fan on for 2 seconds then the fan would cycle off and no error codes were produced. I put the stove on stove temp and it fired right back up. As it was lighting I selected room temp and the stove entered shut down mode immediately. After the stove ran in stove temp mode for a while I went back to room temp and it stayed lit. Not risking waking up to a cold house I went back to stove temp. It stayed lit throughout the night. Thinking I need a ESP or Room Temp sensor. OBTW I burning Ideck Pellets FYI Highly NOT RECOMENDED by me

From the manual, "5 Blinks (In Igniter Auto. Mode Only): Indicates that the unit has failed to light within the 36 minute start cycle. To reset - Turn Mode Selector to "OFF", then turn to either mode again.)"

It could be bad/damp pellets or a failed/weak igniter. Make sure the area under the burn pot around the igniter is clear of ash. If it persists I would start the stove manually using a propane torch and see if it continues to run normally.

Wife reported 5 blink code while I was at work. She said the stove would not start. Had her cycle the breaker for a hard reset, that put the 5 blink out. The stove was in room temp auto ignite. Moving selector from room temp to stove temp and back would kick the combustion fan on for 2 seconds then the fan would cycle off and no error codes were produced. I put the stove on stove temp and it fired right back up. As it was lighting I selected room temp and the stove entered shut down mode immediately. After the stove ran in stove temp mode for a while I went back to room temp and it stayed lit. Not risking waking up to a cold house I went back to stove temp. It stayed lit throughout the night. Thinking I need a ESP or Room Temp sensor. OBTW I burning Ideck Pellets FYI Highly NOT RECOMENDED by me

I’ll start with this...we are here to help...resending some of your original post bolded, enlarged, and in a different color after just one reply probably won’t get you much honey from this group of bees.
If the stove operates fine in stove temp mode it’s probably not your ESP. Check the two spade connectors on the room sensing probe where it connects to the stove to make sure they are tight and connected. Also make sure your probe isn’t in a different location than it normally is. If you can, make sure the connections are tight on the control board as well. It’s possible something is up with the probe wire. Happens at times with inserts....good luck.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
I’ll start with this...we are here to help...resending some of your original post bolded, enlarged, and in a different color after just one reply probably won’t get you much honey from this group of bees.
If the stove operates fine in stove temp mode it’s probably not your ESP. Check the two spade connectors on the room sensing probe where it connects to the stove to make sure they are tight and connected. Also make sure your probe isn’t in a different location than it normally is. If you can, make sure the connections are tight on the control board as well. It’s possible something is up with the probe wire. Happens at times with inserts....good luck.
Not trying to chap anyone's hide Just wanted members to look at the highlighted area as the first part was answered. Thanx for you help with the issue and the guidance on editing . It is all really appreciated ! I'll inspect the room temp sensor for condition and security.

Not trying to chap anyone's hide .....
Well...ok. That ship has sailed..lol. Let us know how you make out on the room sensing probe investigation

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
In room temp mode, did you try to turn the stat up to say 85f? Also with the stove unplugged turn all your knobs from stop to stop several times. They will get dirty/dead spots in them. Cycling them typically gets them working again.

Reactions: Ssyko
Just did a full front to back to to bottom clean this morning after only 2 weeks and 200 pounds of pellets since my last full clean. I have been burning Indeck pellets this season because that is what my local Menards had to supply. They are the worst pellets ever. Heavy ash, low heat output, Hardly a pellet over 3/8's of an inch in length. They are just horrible! I'm having to dump the ash pan every day and a half, or about 2 to 3 bags through the insert and the ash pan is full. Within two days the glass looks like a season's worth of soot. I bought 5 tons for the season and have burned 3 tons since early October. I'm finding in order to maintain any kind of reasonable performance from the insert I'm having to do a full clean it between 200 and 500 lbs through it. Compared to last year when I had Somersets I was able to go a complete ton between cleanings and ash pan emptied every 5 to 6 days.
After todays clean up the stove is running fine.
I found no obvious defects with the room temp harness and was able to switch back to room temp yesterday with no issues. My insert from day one has always had an extremely sensitive room temp/stove temp potentiometer. The slightest movement will render a wide swing in temperature settings. Touching the temp control knob and thinking about moving will either raise or lower the temp setting 6 to 10 degrees in room temperature. I'm going to replace the potentiometers on the board soon because It is nearly impossible to achieve a reliable repeatable setting.

Potentiometer probably could use some cleaning or replacement.

Reactions: rickwai