You Know You're Old When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snowleopard said:
...Our culture is a death-denying one...and so it has very little understanding of the needs of bereaved people. You're left on your own to figure it out, exactly when you most need support and understanding...

I don't think this generalization is a realistic assessment of what our culture has to offer. There may well be a tendency on the part of many to deny death to some extent (especially among those who've yet to experience the loss of a loved one), and a failure on the part of some folks to understand the needs of people who have experienced such a loss. At the same time, however, there are scads of excellent grief/bereavement support resources available to anyone who chooses to reach out to them. They're not at all difficult to find. My local Hospice offers such services (facilitated groups, individual counseling, ongoing casual get-togethers & potlucks) to anyone in the community, free of charge. I've found that taking advantage of some of what they have to offer has been very helpful in my personal journey through this all-new (to me) territory. There's no real substitute that I know of for talking with people I trust and who I know have walked in my shoes...in a comfortable, quiet, private setting. These opportunities are out there, one simply has to look around. Rick

Hey Pie, death of a spouse is beyond tough, but somewhere out there is someone that will benefit from your strength & experience someday. Your experience & wisdom may be what gets someone through the seemingly impossible. You may or may not know the life you touch, but someone does.

As far as age & attractive & all that stuff, a sense of humor & love of life & others is attractive period. The rest is a bunch of TV commercials for people that haven't quite "got it" yet. Keep smilin! A C

PS get those rugs cleaned, or not, I mean really is it gonna matter that much in the long run? :)

piejam said:
Are you sure that waitress wasn't funnier than you think???? Only kidding..the hell with the rugs, I'm having a great time readings these posts! All of you are kind and good sports to share your stories...

Thanks to all who chime in...dying to start a thread on who is cooking what for the big game!! My store didn't have the family pacs of chicken wings this morning!! Sacrilege...I did spy some fresh turkey wings...hmmmmmm meaty...Just "too old" to walk 5 miles to the next store...lol

Go ahead & create one D !! I'm sure it would work :)

Got you fooled Kenny....lol...I do have an evil side...well not evil but definitely devilish....

Hey AC-after reading your post I'm smilin' ear to ear-be good

I must be a nice girl the Jehovah Witnesses brought me a bouquet of flowers yesterday..they remember the mourning colored wreaths on my front door last year...I don't close the door in their faces.. instead I thank them for doing god's work..

I'm not church going but am god fearing so to speak...

Rick-Thanks..I'm aware you know exactly..still feel like a took a torpedo in mid ship...I'm getting better, really I am..just pissed off that something I cherished was taken away not given up!!!!

Any more old fart stories??????

I got to much to do to worry about getting old, and I'm 53. So screw dat
devil-smiley-024.gif

I have more of a problem, by getting called "Sir". Work boots, jeans, barn jacket, and a hat, gets me called sir often. Now that ticks me off
action-smiley-060.gif

Hey Dixie,

You are too much...I figure between crankin up the stove since it's past sundown and the community is been busy talking to me, I would hold off on the thread..People are busy now and I've tied them up enough already!!!

I love them one and all for responding...nothing but smiles today thanks to hearth.com.....

You know your getting old when you have no idea who any of the young celebrities are. Me, I like that Tom Hanks fellow. :lol:

Jack Straw said:
You know your getting old when you have no idea who any of the young celebrities are. Me, I like that Tom Hanks fellow. :lol:

Seriously. I just discovered who "Adele" was, thanks to zap :)

I like Tom Hanks, always have. Bosom Buddies
grinning-smiley-031.gif

Geeze louize, when did John Prine get old????

snowleopard said:
Geeze louize, when did John Prine get old????

Snow, I got news for ya.. Sam Elliott is old, damn it !

Yep, I know I'm gettin old cause the barber has to trim the hair outta the nose & ears, & just polishes my head.

I know I'm getting old when my coworkers are my stepson's age, and when I realize that I am telling stories about stuff that happened 25 years ago! ...And I'm not even as old as Gamma!

HAHA....you guys crack me up....AARP must be mind readers..Just got a letter about long term insurance!! wtf can't catch a break today....

I must be getting up there I remember:

Burns and Allen
Reel Camp
Joe Franklin(on TV not radio- thank u very much)
The Ann Southern and The Gale Storm Shows
William Bendix as Chester C Riley
The People's Choice
My Little Margie
Mitch Miller
The Alan Burke Show

I better let you ppl get some REST......lol oh yeah I forgot about Topper w/Leo G Carroll and Shirley Booth as Hazel....

F Troop Corporal Argarn & Jane.

Snaggle Puss ... exit stage left !

Sandy Becker ... break the station

Captain Jack Mcarthy

Under Dog !

Sonny Fox doin' "Wonderama"

As I was laying in bed this morning, waiting for my body to regain the ability to respond to the brain's commands, I realized that age truly is nothing but a number. When my parents were the age that I am now, they were no where near as active as I. I actually bolted out of bed to start the day.

(99 woke up immediately due to the commotion and helped me off the floor, gave me a heating pad to help bring the circulation back into my legs, and fed me a few pain pills!!!)

Hey Dix,

Do ya remember coco-marsh??? haha
Winchell Mahoney and Knucklehead Smith
Romper Room

I have an older sister..only one tv in the house..That's why I remember all the 50's sitcoms..she would not let me watch my cartoons..

She would watch My Little Margie and was into Mighty Mouse with the Mario Lanza type singing..then he had all his mouse Hotties with lil high heels....

Even appear on Bozo the Clown on WPIX..my friend's mother was a secretary for MGM and we would get free passes...

I remember getting mad when JFK was shot cause no cartoons- all regular programing was interrupted to broadcast his funeral...

Air raid exercises where we would get under our desks in school..teacher would pull down these hugh green shades on oversized windows....lol...desks had inkwells!!!

Cookie monitors with milk and snacks...with my father watchin Alan Burke its no wonder I left home at 17.....I also loved Soupy Sales...told ya I was twisted....lol

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
F Troop Corporal Argarn & Jane.

Snaggle Puss ... exit stage left !

Sandy Becker ... break the station

Captain Jack Mcarthy

Under Dog !

Sonny Fox doin' "Wonderama"

Amos and Andy. Soupy Sales, 3 Stooges, original Jack Benny, Milton Berle, and 1 cent post cards. Oy, my bonz R creakin.

Red Skelton
Bonanza
Walt Disney
Art Linkletter
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
The Beatles original appearance on Ed Sullivan

Watching news about the Viet Nam war as a child and not paying attention too much; until you were old enough to register (for the draft, not selective service) and the war was still going on...

penny candy
Getting a quarter for treats and being able to but a bottle of pop-.10; full size candy bar-.05; ice cream bar-.05; bag of ships or pack of gum-.05!!!

Very Good BG....lol

I do remember Amos and Andy, Abbott and Costello with Mr Fields and Mike the Cop...slowly I turn....step by step...susquehanna hat co...

And what about Heckel and Jeckal...yes I remember Uncle Milty,,Art Linkletter and Kids Say the Darndest Things

Some of this stuff I watched when it wasn't in syndicated reruns...Wholly Shhhhhh.........

Status
Not open for further replies.