1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

’some’ smoke in hopper

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ilmbg, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilmbg

ilmbg New Member

Loc:
    Wyoming/Montana border very dry, very cold
    I know that smoke in the hopper is not good. How much are you talking about? When I start my Harman Accentra from cold, there is some smoke in the hopper when it first lights up for a few minutes- until it gets hot, I am guessing. Smoke in the hopper continuously gets creosote like remnents on the auger, and top of the feed plate, I believe. When I do clean my stove, there is always hard stuff (sorry- am having a brain fart- cannot think of correct word!), on te top plate, and in the corners of the feed bin. How much is normal- how much is related to the quality of pellets? I am wondering if the pipe/chimney needs to be cleaned again. Also, the glass gets very dirty within a day or a few days. Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    What's the chimney hook-up light?
  3. ilmbg

ilmbg New Member

Loc:
    PE- do you mean what is the chimney like? Straight up- about 16 feet I'd guess- maybe more. Triple pipe. T- out the back for cleaning. I cleaned inside again today- seemed like quite a bit of soot/dust behind the small plate under the pot- vacuumed it out. Watched it more closely than I normally do- smoke in the very bottom of the box when starting- about 10+ minutes. Then, when it is going/hot, no smoke. How long does it usually take before the windows get smoke/cruddy?
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Can't say I am a pellet stove expert, but that sounds wrong to me. No smoke or creosote should be in the hopper- especially on any type of regular basis.
  5. ilmbg

ilmbg New Member

Loc:
    I thought it would not be a routine thing either. I talked to Majic City Stoves in Casper, where I bought mine- he said the smoke aggenda is ok- just the stove warming up (smoke does go away after 5-10 minutes). Supposedly, if the pellets are not of goof quality (I am burning Firemaster), more buildup will happen, but I was under the impression that Firemaster was a good pellet. Yesterday and today, the glass is clear- go figure! I will be glad when I get back south (it's 80 degrees where I am from right now), where I won't be using a pellet stove. A wood stove for rare back-up is my preference! Thanks anyway!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.