1/2" or 1" internal ceramic blanket ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
I was curious if there is a benefit to having a thicker blanket inside the stove located at the top of the baffle plate ?

currently have a half inch batt insulation atop of the baffle but wanted to know if laying another piece of 1/2" batt on top of the existing one would be of a benefit for a 3 cu ft. box ?

thanks for any suggestions.

eventhough new, the original blanket is somewhat tattered, but I agree with your statement. However if I was to replace the 1/2" blanket to a thicker one, it would be of one piece.

Since the blanket isn't in the best shape I would call the manufacturer and find out what the specifications are for your stove. I have an older quadafire and the blanket appears to be about 3/4" thick. I would think if the blanket were to thick it would hamper the stoves airflow or possibly overheat the fire box. Just keep in mind if you don't stick with what the manufacturer intended your playing test pilot.

The factory puts a 1/2" blanket in. My guess is you might cut the draft down if you put in twice the insulation in. My stove has the secondaries, then brick, then the insulation. If I put twice the thickness I would be cutting the draft off....

Status
Not open for further replies.