1/2 your wood and 1/2your hay must remain on candlemas day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the ten coldest Decembers here and then the Polar vortex sucked the pile down big time. Up in the air as to get more pellets or hit the elevator for some corn as it went down 15 cents/bu. this week.

One of the ten coldest Decembers here and then the Polar vortex sucked the pile down big time. Up in the air as to get more pellets or hit the elevator for some corn as it went down 15 cents/bu. this week.
No real access to it here in PA, but always curious about how non-pellet fuels would work in my MVAE. If you do it, keep us posted.

Have been burning corn since about 2002. Harman is now getting blend of 20 to 50 percent without changing the tray. Fired up the Bixby during the last Polar vortex and ran on low to help out the Harman and it gets corn with about a quart of pellets to a bucket of corn to help keep the pucks easy to cut. Main reason for not burning corn was the cost went sky high. Now local price is $3.75/bu., 135 a ton, pellet prices start at $209/T

Have been burning corn since about 2002. Harman is now getting blend of 20 to 50 percent without changing the tray. Fired up the Bixby during the last Polar vortex and ran on low to help out the Harman and it gets corn with about a quart of pellets to a bucket of corn to help keep the pucks easy to cut. Main reason for not burning corn was the cost went sky high. Now local price is $3.75/bu., 135 a ton, pellet prices start at $209/T
Just did a lookup and corn is 8000-8500 BTU/pound. Considering the cost difference that's a good deal cheaper in terms of BTU/$. Works just as long as the stove has the capacity to generate the required amount of heat with the less rich fuel. I'll have to do some shopping to see what is available locally.
Thanks for the information.

The density of corn is higher than wood pellets. One of the problems of corn is the moisture that it usually stored is around 13%. The corn I got during a very dry fall was at 11% and a density of 63lbs. per bu. Very high as standard for corn is 56#. Relative of mine said this years corn weight is 54# and wet fall so is being stored at maximum moisture. Not very good for burning this year.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.