1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

10-cpm cleaning - 3 weeks

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by imacman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. imacman

imacman Guest

Well, I figured that since most of us in the NE are pretty much snow-bound, I'd post some pics of the cleaning for your viewing pleasure. This was after 3 weeks w/o opening the door, and the stove was humming along putting out good heat, as always.

I think the pics are self explanatory, with the exception of the one of the opening into the stove where the door latches. I read a thread a while back about a fellow 10-cpm owner seeing a hole where the latch mounts in the door.....it went directly into the firebox. Sure enough, when I looked closely, there WAS a small hole. A glob of black Hi-temp sealed that right up.

Also note the burn pot cradle gasket that Dexter gets credit for. I had tried using 1/8" Lytherm, but this adhesive-backed gasket that was part of the Englander "Early Bird" gasket kit was just the ticket....stays put and seems to work VERY well. Has been in place since the last cleaning 3 weeks ago, and looks to be in great shape.

Note the different color ash in the ash pan....the side light grey is from the ash dumps, and the center is from the burn pot. All of it looks real nice. Also, the burn pattern on the "fire brick" looks good too.

Well, anyway, she's ready for another 2-3 weeks.

Hope Mike H. sees this and leaves some comments on the stove, the ash, the air leak fix, and the burn pot/cradle gasket mod.

Attached Files:

sculptor likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    wow!:eek: that's a lot-ta ash ! though the brick panel looks pristine. you're getting a great burn no doubt
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks Mike! Any thoughts on the burn pot cradle/burn pot gasket?
  4. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

interesting, might have to play with it come the spring when i have time to try stuff, hard to fit in time for anything this time of year. was actually playing with a CPM today at my shop trying some stuff didnt think about the burn pot though was looking at different positions on the exhaust blower impellor on the shaft to see if moving it would make a difference, seems its best when its set up with the collar with the setscrew which holds it on being literally flush with the tip of the shaft, if its moved back from there velocity drops a couple mph.
  5. jdempsey

jdempsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    kentucky
    My 10-cpm blows alot of heated air out of where the handle goes back into the door.

I assumed all of them did this. I have never really looked to see if there is a hole in there. I am gonna check it out once i get a chance.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

I'll be interested in what you find out when you get a chance to try the gasket. It really does seem to aid in keeping the comb. air going through the pot with much less bypass.

As for the comb. impeller, I actually thought about that over the summer when I did my big clean out. If my memory serves me right, I think I DID line up the collar with the end of the motor shaft, but don't remember why....I'll have to check that out next time I pull it....thanks!!
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

It's actually the end of an elongated "slot" put in the firebox sidewall to allow the door latch pin to be adjusted. I moved mine inward to tighten the door fit, and that allowed the opening to be uncovered. To make sure it's covered, just fill the area I showed in the pic w/ hi temp silicone. I smushed it in with my finger, and I can see a little bit squeezed out on the inside of the stove, so I know it's sealed now.

One thing I always noticed after burning for a few days was a brown streak across the glass, and it was lined-up perfectly with the door handle latch......maybe this will eliminate that. I'll report after a few days with what I see on the glass.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I have yet to clean my Quad....... I will definitely start a thread. The ash is over a foot deep (Yes, 1 ft)!!!

Looks great iMac, as for the gasket, looks good. The hole in the door latch? Yep, I sealed mine too. :)

Good looking firebrick. Good looking burn. All the CPM owners having issues should take note of your ash color and amount on the sides of pot. Not in the pot :(
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks Dex......kudos to you for the nice burn pot gasket.
  10. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Thanks for the pics. Looking forward to seeing your Dexter.
    smoke show likes this.
  11. smoke show

smoke show Guest

;lol I took a Dexter this morning, but didn't snap a pic. ;lol
    DexterDay and mepellet like this.
  12. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Hahaha! Love it.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Took a Dex and wiped your Smoke Show...?? LOL ;)

Thats what its all about.... The sharing of wisdom and knowledge to keep our stoves running at there peak, and having a few laughs along the way. :)
    smoke show likes this.
  14. sculptor

sculptor Member

Loc:
    central nc
    I've been viewing my own imac in progress. After finding out I was in corn mode :rolleyes: , I let it go for twelve bags before cleaning. I didn't have the ash buildup you have, but was very pleased! The front of the glass looked like a snow drift.
  15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    We all forgive you, stuff happens.
    sculptor likes this.
  16. imacman

imacman Guest

My 3 week run was probably about 20-22 bags. I burn about a bag a day right now. That will change in the upcoming week, as temps are going take a nosedive around here....in the low teens at night.
  17. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    I feel spoiled with my huge ash can, but I appreciate it even more now.

However, longest I've went without opening the door is like 3 days, I can't stop myself from scraping the burn pot. Looking good.