1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

10 gallons of yum

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by daveswoodhauler, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I like less carbonation- like it was on tap. You can send that piss you're making to me, I don't mind :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BucksCoBernie

BucksCoBernie New Member

Order your hops soon for spring delivery.....they tend to sell out fast! I missed out last year.
  3. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I just started getting into forced carbonation with soda kegs. There is a chart with temperature on one axis and PSI on the other. It makes it fairly easy to get the appropriate amount of CO2 volumes in the finished beer.

As for hops, you can also get rhizome cuttings from friends in the spring and plant your own.
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Most of the homebrew experts claim that time, more time, will allow the carbonation to develop. I don't want to be waiting 6+ weeks for carbonation and will jump to the corny (soda type) kegs if that's my only choice.

There's commercial bottle carbonation, there's draft beer carbonation, and then there is flat beer. I'm way closer to flat beer than any of these. Seriously, I can pour the bottle into my glass any way I want and get zero head on the beer. I'm botting this weekend and will try a few tips. I'm more afraid that I will have to wait longer. Nobody likes waiting.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Dave- what the heck does all that coordinate mumbo jumbo mean in English? If you're near me, I can recommend a place that carries the rhizomes. You pre-order and pick up when they come in.
  6. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    So I take it you're not making any barleywines, unless you like 'em really fresh? ;-) Waiting is just part of the game. At least you're not making wine or mead. Those folks have to wait months or even years for a batch to mature.

Yeah, try some of the stuff we've mentioned, room temperature bottle condition temps, etc. Also, try going back to corn sugar as it will take less time for the yeast to work through it. You can even use table sugar.. just use slightly less (3/4c corn sugar = about 5/8 c table sugar). Another thing is, perhaps your iodophor solution is very strong and you should consider rinsing it out of the bottles anyway.
  7. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    A good amount of time in secondary and extra time in the bottle really improve flavor dramatically- especially in anything over 5% ABV. Everyone experiments with 7-8% sort of levels and many are disappointed because they don't give it the months that really make it shine.
  8. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    According to Google maps he's either in East-Central Mass or northern Kyrgyzstan, but I don't think you can get nice wagons like that in Kyrgyzstan.