10 gallons of yum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daveswoodhauler said:
Going to start growing some hops this year....I know there are some places online where you can get them in early spring....any thoughts on perhaps a good one to try here in the North East?

Order your hops soon for spring delivery.....they tend to sell out fast! I missed out last year.

I just started getting into forced carbonation with soda kegs. There is a chart with temperature on one axis and PSI on the other. It makes it fairly easy to get the appropriate amount of CO2 volumes in the finished beer.

As for hops, you can also get rhizome cuttings from friends in the spring and plant your own.

Most of the homebrew experts claim that time, more time, will allow the carbonation to develop. I don't want to be waiting 6+ weeks for carbonation and will jump to the corny (soda type) kegs if that's my only choice.

There's commercial bottle carbonation, there's draft beer carbonation, and then there is flat beer. I'm way closer to flat beer than any of these. Seriously, I can pour the bottle into my glass any way I want and get zero head on the beer. I'm botting this weekend and will try a few tips. I'm more afraid that I will have to wait longer. Nobody likes waiting.

Highbeam said:
Most of the homebrew experts claim that time, more time, will allow the carbonation to develop. I don't want to be waiting 6+ weeks for carbonation and will jump to the corny (soda type) kegs if that's my only choice.

There's commercial bottle carbonation, there's draft beer carbonation, and then there is flat beer. I'm way closer to flat beer than any of these. Seriously, I can pour the bottle into my glass any way I want and get zero head on the beer. I'm botting this weekend and will try a few tips. I'm more afraid that I will have to wait longer. Nobody likes waiting.

So I take it you're not making any barleywines, unless you like 'em really fresh? ;-) Waiting is just part of the game. At least you're not making wine or mead. Those folks have to wait months or even years for a batch to mature.

Yeah, try some of the stuff we've mentioned, room temperature bottle condition temps, etc. Also, try going back to corn sugar as it will take less time for the yeast to work through it. You can even use table sugar.. just use slightly less (3/4c corn sugar = about 5/8 c table sugar). Another thing is, perhaps your iodophor solution is very strong and you should consider rinsing it out of the bottles anyway.

A good amount of time in secondary and extra time in the bottle really improve flavor dramatically- especially in anything over 5% ABV. Everyone experiments with 7-8% sort of levels and many are disappointed because they don't give it the months that really make it shine.

Adios Pantalones said:
Dave- what the heck does all that coordinate mumbo jumbo mean in English? If you're near me, I can recommend a place that carries the rhizomes. You pre-order and pick up when they come in.
According to Google maps he's either in East-Central Mass or northern Kyrgyzstan, but I don't think you can get nice wagons like that in Kyrgyzstan.

Status
Not open for further replies.