100 lb Tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grumpy in Alabama

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
I just bought a log set, vapor free, LP gas for my home. I have had 2 other sets, but they didn't work well. This set, on the box, says it requires a 100 lb tank.
Must I have a single 100 lb tank, or is it possible to use 2 60 lb tanks with a "splitter valve" like the one I have on my camper for the 2 40 lb tanks so I can feed off one primarily, but disconnect one at a time to get refilled?
And why is a 100 lb tank required, anyway? That may be why my other 2 sets didn't work properly. I never saw anything with them requiring a large tank.

I just bought a log set, vapor free, LP gas for my home. I have had 2 other sets, but they didn't work well. This set, on the box, says it requires a 100 lb tank.
Must I have a single 100 lb tank, or is it possible to use 2 60 lb tanks with a "splitter valve" like the one I have on my camper for the 2 40 lb tanks so I can feed off one primarily, but disconnect one at a time to get refilled?
And why is a 100 lb tank required, anyway? That may be why my other 2 sets didn't work properly. I never saw anything with them requiring a large tank.
I dont know about the tank but i would guess as long as its plumbed correctly 2 tanks should work. But your log set is not vapor free. They are called vent free but in reality they are room vented. And most of them are not meant to be heat sources. Read the instructions some require an open window others say only burn for a set time.

As far as the others not working were they set up for propane? Many come set up for natural gas and need converted.

Tank size probably has to do with evaporation lowering the temperature which reduces the amount of evaporation and ultimately reduces pressure supplied by the tank