1000 Gallon old #2 oil tank for storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcote

Feb 6, 2009
Northern Maine
Great site, can't get enough of it! I am in the planning stages of my new system and am curious if anyone has ever used a 1000 gallon storage tank. It was used for #2 oil and K1. I can get my hands on an inexpensive one, but didn't know if this could be safely converted to hot water storage for a wood boiler system. Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a lot of the posts for DIYer's with propane tanks and building their own unpressurized storage tanks, but ran accross this and thought I would throw it out there....thanks.

I don't believe they are safe to pressurize. I have actually seen a similar tank (smaller) have the end blown out of it with 30 psi. Maintenance dept was using it to pump oil into machines at a tool shop I used to work at. They would pressurize the tank to force the oil out. KABOOM.

-Cheers

Since you stated you are thinking of using this tank for UN-pressurized storage, it certainly would be safe for that. Was this an above ground tank? Or were you planning on insulating and burying it?

I think the biggest issue would be the oil residue. Unless you can completely clean it, or line it somehow, it will contaminate your system. It's probably not worth the trouble or consequences to find out.

I am sorry, I didn't take your comment about people "using propane tanks and building their own unpressurized storage" as meaning that you wanted unpressurized. For some reason, I just thought you were asking if it was safe for pressurized storage. At any rate, Jim K. is right.. fine for unpressurized.

cheers

Another thing to check is that it is not on the verge of rusting out-- in petroleum tanks, any water that condenses will go to the bottom, since it is heavier-- and then you can get corrosion at the inside bottom of the tank. Oil heat pros have told me that the 275 gallon in-cellar units almost always rust from the inside out, not the outside in.

If you can confirm that there are no thin spots in this 1000 gallon tank, and find a way to clean it that won't either cost a fortune or create a toxic mess... then you may have something to work with.

I am in the process of doing exactly what you're contemplating against the wisdom of most contributors on this forum I just didn't want to go the swimming pool route. I purchased a 500 gallon fuel tank and had the junk yard cut off one end. When I got the monster home I proceeded to prep the tank for application of a waterproof coating. This was the hard part. It was pitted at the bottom where the water sat and had a pretty heavy coat of rust at the top where there is condensation. I first took a large torch to the interior and burned it out., paying particular attention to the joint where it overlapped. You can tell when you are evaporating oil because of the smoke. I then proceeded to grind the interior until all pitting was gone. There were times during this process that I was thinking that I should have gone with that $1500.00 stainless tank I found. It was messy! I didn't worry too much about thin spots because I kept comparing it to the thickness of above ground pool sheet metal.

I then coated the interior with three coats of an epoxy made especially made for that purpose. It is a waterproofing epoxy that is supposed to work up to 350*. I just put the tank in place yesterday and installed the copper heat exchangers. I can do some preliminary plumbing but can't completely hook it up until I shut down my system for the summer.

I am also using a 300 gallon old fuel oil tank for un pressurized storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.