11 year old Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
For those of you who were wondering whether we wanted an insert or a stove, the answer may be both. The VC WW2 Insert is obviously going in the living room fireplace. A freestanding stove would be for the finished room we hope to have in the basement soon.

I have a lead on a reasonably priced Hearthstone Phoenix. It is 11 years old. Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of in a Hearthstone Phoenix of that age? Has the design changed at all? Is it less efficient than a newer one would be?

I read with interest the recent thread on stoves in uninsulated basements. Since we plan on finishing the basement there would be some insulation. However, the owner of this stove did comment that he's heard it may not "draw" well in a basement. Is there any truth to that?
Thanks,
~Cath

ETA - It looks like the current Phoenix model number is 8612. If it turns out that this used stove is model number 8610 would parts availability be an issue? What would the difference between the 8610 and 8612 be, in terms of performance &/or efficiency? Could it merely be a difference in style?

Well, I just learned that the Hearthstone Phoenix sold to someone else. Probably just as well since our plate's a little full with the VC insert. It was just listed yesterday so that's another indication of how much closer we are to Autumn.

For anyone else looking for info on a circa 1996 older Phoenix, model 8610, I did get a PM from Burn-1 / Ross so I'll summarize what he told me.

"It’s a good stove. I would guess that mine is about 10 years old. There are no real differences in the stove as far as efficiency that I am aware of. The biggest difference is that the ash pan drain is like a plug in the 8610 and is like a grate in the 8612 current model. I think the size is pretty close.

I had to redo all my gaskets and also got a new handle and spring closure mechanism and patched the inside up in a few places with furnace cement. You would probably be in for that.

Parts should not be an issue, most of the older parts fit the current one, like the door assembly I bought."

~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.