12 or 18" - Magnetic Thermometer Single Wall Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
I always thought it was 18", but read somewhere we should have them at 12. Which is correct? Single wall, imperial stove magnetic thermometer.

Most guys say 18" but i have mine at 10" because that's as high as i can get it and still see it. If you have the room go 18".

18"

Condar instructions state no less than 12”

What is the optimum temp. with the single wall and magnetic thermometer? Mine reads about 200-220 degrees with my BK Sirocco while cruising,

On single wall pipe personally I feel 15'' to 18'' max., I prefer having it read hot a little quicker than later.

What is the optimum temp. with the single wall and magnetic thermometer? Mine reads about 200-220 degrees with my BK Sirocco while cruising,

That surface temperature corresponds with 400-450 internal and is right where my princess runs for low burns. I can run it lower by flirting with the ragged edge of cat stall but that is not what I want to do. Further, 400 internal is the bottom of the "normal" range on the condar probe thermometer. Any lower and you are burning "too cool" and could be creating excessive creosote higher up in the stack where temps are cooler and very likely fall below the condensation point.