1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

15-20 gallons of propane a year. Deliver myself?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by SIERRADMAX, Mar 21, 2013.

1. SIERRADMAX

SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    RI
    My house has a 50 gallon propane tank used for cooking (gas stove). It has been 3 years since it was filled. The company I use charges a lease fee of $65/yr. for the tank. The last refill was in 2010 where they charged me $7.65/gallon for 40 gallons (80% fill). I've called around and most companies only have 100 gallon tanks and their fee is similar.

Can I buy a 100lb. (24 gallon) tank, the regulator, gauge and transport to/from a propane company?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Did you really mean 7.65 per gallon plus the rental fee? Wow!

Yes, you absolutely can fill up and transport a 100# tank. That tank holds about 24 gallons.

You can even buy two of the 100# tanks and install a switchover valve that runs one tank out and automatically switches to the next one. This allows you to go refill the first tank while #2 carries the load.
    semipro, daveswoodhauler and PapaDave like this.
  3. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Yup. That's what I do for my range. The tanks you can find anywhere-Tractor Supply, etc... This is the regulator Highbeam was talking about-I'm using it:

http://www.propaneproducts.com/cata...automatic-changeover-regulator-7525b23-4.html

I ratchet strap my tank to a handtruck and transport it in the bed of my truck. They fill it while its in the bed (so we don't have to lift it back in full) and I wheel it down using my tractor ramps when I get home.
  4. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    50 gallon would be closer to 300lbs. plus tank weight.

Gary

Sorry didn't read it right!
  5. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    Sounds like you could get by with a couple of the small 20lb bbq tanks. You would have to refill a few times a year, but they are cheap
    briansol likes this.
  6. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Second this approach.....my FIL has a similar setup on his Travel Trailer....I don't think the tanks are 100lbs, but are larger than your normal BBQ tanks. has a nice switchover valve in that when one goes emply, he can switch over to the full one.....you use is so low that this might be a good approach. Good luck
  7. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

On a travel trailer he's probably using 30s or 50s and the same regulator I'm using. I decided to go with two 100lb'ers because while they're not impossible to move, it's not the most fun task in the world, so I figured why not make them last a while. Plus, I'm looking at converting my generator and plumbing it into the system. Two 5+ day long power outages in the past three years has me wanting to make running the generator an easier process...
  8. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    I have a pair of 100# tanks at my cabin for stove, hot water, and clothes dryer. Refill about $90 per tank, I toss 'em in my truck and then use a hand truck to get down the trail to the cabin, several hundred yards from the parking area. Fortunately the cabin is downhill from the parking area...

A lot cheaper from propane warehouse...
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If you can find some used 100 lb tanks that would be ideal. New ones are not cheap but would still be cheaper than what you are paying. We have 4 100 lb tanks and when 2 get used up we take the 2 empty ones for a refill. $62 per tank for the refill. Up until last fall we had delivery at that price but the fellow who we got them from went out of business. Now we have to go get them refilled ourselves.
  10. SIERRADMAX

Loc:
    RI
    Problem solved. I negotiated and bought my 200lb. existing tank from my propane company. Turns out it was a DOT tank so I disconnected & threw it on my truck to have it refilled for $3.40/Gallon:). All set for another 3 years!
    briansol likes this.
  11. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    TSC around here has been filling tanks for $2.29/ gal. The last time I had a 20 lb grill tank filled at the local bottle gas place it was a flat $14, I think. It's nice to just pay for the gas you need. One of my good friends fills my 250 gallon tank, so I gather all my small ones, and he fills them off the truck [​IMG]
  12. Highbeam

Loc:
    How did you get it off the truck?
  13. SIERRADMAX

Loc:
    RI
    Tractor. Ground is still frozen here so no trouble going over my lawn.
  14. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I'd like to buy tanks to replace the 2 150 gallon ones that I rent from Suburban Propane. I have looked online and not found a source. Where should I look and does anybody know what I should expect to pay for them?
  15. SIERRADMAX

Loc:
    RI
    Tractor Supply sells 100 gallon tanks for around $150/piece. Northern Tool sells them as well.
  16. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    You think you can stomach the cost of running gens off propane for a week or two at a time? I opted for gasoline generator when I weighed the options. Propane is too dam expensive. Convienent, sure, but costly.
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Gasoline is not cheap either. Locally gasoline is about $4 and bottled propane is $2.99. Gasoline has a finite life in a container, propane keeps.

Our generator sips a miserly .18 gallons per hour. During major outages we run it about 7 hrs a day for refrigerated and frozen foods, everything else is gravy. A 100# tank holds about 25 gallons of propane. That will last us 19 days. We also have a 250# cylinder but it costs $4.36/gal to have it filled via delivery. :oops: Unfortunately we don't have a tractor to move it around. :mad: Hooking that up to the genny would provide us with 47 days of power.
  18. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    That's a 100 pound tank , not 100 gallons.
  19. Flatbedford

Loc:
    That's what I'm sayin'. Need two 200+ gallon capacity.
  20. PastTense

PastTense Member

Loc:
    Iowa
    Have you looked on Craigslist for propane tanks? Why not get a 500 gallon tank instead of the two 150 gallon tanks?
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Holy crap. $7.65/gallon? My last delivery was $1.69.

Sounds like you got it sorted out.

$7.65 ;sick...dayumm.
  22. Flatbedford

Loc:
    My last delivery was around $5.00/gallon. Or about $750! We've had two of those this winter and will probably need one more in a month or so to carry us through the summer. We also cook and make hot water with propane.
  23. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Would you like to take a 500 gallon tank for a fill up?
  24. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I wouldn't even want to take one of the 150s for a fill up!
  25. Highbeam

Loc:
    I've seen the big pigs, maybe 100 gallons?, at home depot or lowes. Those are the short and fat ones that look like huge BBQ tanks. Anything bigger and you'll be at the propane supply company where Hank Hill works.
    briansol likes this.