17-VL, where to put magnetic thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
The manual states to put the thermometer on the "left or right side above the door". At first I took this to mean on the front side of the stove in the upper left or upper right hand corner - but the Rutland thermometer I bought won't fit. Then I got to thinking, maybe they meant on the left or right hand side of the stove, all the way to the top (IE - higher than/above the door). So that's where it's at now, on the upper left hand side of the right hand side of the stove. Think that is fine? When I did my first burn outside I was checking the temp on the side of the stove and on the front above the door and it seemed to be about 25-30F warmer on the side of the stove than above the door.

I'm guessing they mean on the actual top of the stove toward the front either on the left or the right side of the door.

The hottest part of the stove is on the sides, just under the top lip, on the left or right sides at the front. (just behind the door).
It works there...but is hard to see...
It is fairly accurate there, according to my digital lazer thermometer, which is a lot more fun to use! :)

I put a probe themometer in the flue 27" above the stove, and now rely on it completely (never look at the other one).
I'm more concerned with stack temps to keep creosote problems at bay.
As long as they don't go above the safe zone, neither does my stove.

Rob

You have that 17 going with this recent cool snap, Rob?

Danno77 said:
You have that 17 going with this recent cool snap, Rob?

Yeah, inquiring minds wanna know ;-)

Yes I do!!

Every morning if the shop is below 68 degrees, I fire it up and enjoy the heat!
I've got a lot of wood waiting to meet the stove...

Rob

I wish there were a larger version of that stove, I love the look of it .

I think you have company there Eileen. Corey came up with a classic that should have been made in small, medium and large.

BeGreen said:
I think you have company there Eileen. Corey came up with a classic that should have been made in small, medium and large.

I agree. Especially since the 17 has excellent clearance ratings and low R value hearth ratings (0.5R).

Englander got back to me and said to use the top of the stove at the front but that where I have it "will suffice."

48rob has his located on the upper right corner of the door IIRC.

Correct. That is why I think the door is a good location to try.

BeGreen said:
Correct. That is why I think the door is a good location to try.

But the manual states those temperatures for the thermometer in that location. IE - 350 on the door is probably running the stove way too cold, but 350 on the jacket is at the bottom of the "ok" zone. I guess I'll leave it where it is and also monitor the stove temps with my IR gun, then maybe I'll move it if it seems necessary.

This is where it reads the highest temperatures (or same position on the other side).

Rob

ry=480

Thanks rob!

BeGreen said:

I'll take a large, please, think of the wood storage :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.