1912 Buckeye open Coal Insert w/basket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eden

Hearth Supporter
Sep 4, 2008
Historic Hampstead, MD
Hi

First time poster. I just had my center fireplace in my 1912 home restored and brought up to code with a liner, The small iron insert is very ornate, has two dampers and an open basket. It can now be used for coal or wood, but was for coal.

I have a separate chimney in the back of the house that is used for the oil fired hot water heat.

I will use the coal insert (unless I can't afford oil) for pleasure so I won't be buying tons of coal. I have 2 questions:

1. I have been scrubbing the original hearth tiles trying to get them clean and the moisture has caused a fine layer of rust to appear on the insert - I have a special heat resistant paint to apply but won't paint it until I get the surrounding tile and wooden mantle cleaned up. So what can I use to get the rust off the insert that won't affect the coat of heat resistant paint when I get around to it. I've read to use a lemon w/salt to rub it off or linseed oil or kerosene (sounds like a fire hazzard!).

2. I know to use hard coal. Is it really so hard to start a coal fire "whenever" for casual use? I know the heat will go right up the chimney because it's an open coal basket - yet it is an old beauty and I intend to keep it as is without any ugly modifications.

Any input, please?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.