1978 Resolute by Vermont Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotarysound

Nov 30, 2007
Olympia, WA
Greetings,

I'm new to the list and I'm hoping that I can get some expert opinions on an older stove that I recently found for sale?
I am strongly considering adding a wood stove as a supplemental heating source to my small urban home.

There is a used stove available in my area. It appears that it will need lots of help if it's usable at all.
Here is my quick amateur assessment:

1. It's been stored outside and has a good amount of surface rust to remove.
2. There is no glass or hinge pins on the swinging front loading doors.
3. It will need new fire proof rope seals.
4. It's not an EPA certified stove obviously.
5. The asking price is $450.
6. It includes a front door screen.
7. 1978 is stamped on the lower back side.

Questions:

1. What is it worth?
2. Since it can't be legally sold in Washington State, should that be some bargaining incentive?
3. Can it be brought into compliance as a clean burner?
4. Can an existing catalytic combuster be bought for use with it or will it need substantial modification?
5. As a do it yourselfer, is it worth my time in considering this stove as an option?

I used to heat with wood 20 years ago but I know that times have changed and more efficient, cleaner burning stoves are available new. Since it is a back up system, for recreational and asthetic enjoyment, I do not intend to invest $3000.00 into a wood stove and installation.

Any suggestions, opinions and advice would be very helpful to consider.

Thank you

Howdy. Well, sorry, but that was the asking price for the stove new, almost 30 years ago. I say pass. This is a great stove but I have seen them as low as $250 in our area and they were in excellent shape. The way you have described the stove, I wouldn't buy it. But if you really want a project don't pay over $50. It'll need a total rebuild.

If aesthetics are not a big issue , you can get a new stove under $1000 that will outburn this stove. It will be a steel box, but will heat well. But we'll need to know a lot more about your particular installation needs and what you have to start with.

Thanks for the reply.

Up until I saw this used Resolute today, I have been leaning towards a new Intrepid II. The best price on a new green Intrepid II stove that I have found so far is $1599.00. I tried but the "VC Resolute" owners will not accept a $50 offer.

You asked about what I have to start with or installation needs? Well I don't have a pre-existing flu or chimney so I would be starting from scratch. I have a 1936 built small two story remodeled house. The walls are solid 2x 6 ship lap, no 2x4 frame walls here. The house has a converted attic with Knee wall. I have a 9/12 roof pitch. Based on the pitch, I am as yet still unsure how tall the chimney must be.

The outside distance from the ground to the underside of the soffet is about 10 ft. I am not decided yet but I would prefer a through the wall installation rather than the ceiling installation.

I have the tools and I am confident that I could manage the installation myself if I can find a 10" outside diameter Class A pipe installation Kit to use at a reasonable cost or if I was able to surplus the required parts through a second use place.

Thanks for your help.

BeGreen said:
Howdy. Well, sorry, but that was the asking price for the stove new, almost 30 years ago. I say pass. This is a great stove but I have seen them as low as $250 in our area and they were in excellent shape. The way you have described the stove, I wouldn't buy it. But if you really want a project don't pay over $50. It'll need a total rebuild.

If aesthetics are not a big issue , you can get a new stove under $1000 that will outburn this stove. It will be a steel box, but will heat well. But we'll need to know a lot more about your particular installation needs and what you have to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.