1993 Avalon 900 PI Auger Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BruinsFan1987

Nov 21, 2019
Boston, MA
Hi, I just bought a house that has a mostly-functioning 1993 Avalon 900 PI. The auger motor seems to be on it's way out with often struggling to turn the auger.

I'm trying to track down the replacement part number, but most of the third party sites specifically exclude 1993-1996 models. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, where can I find a service / installation manual that covers the steps to replace the auger motor? I have the user guide that came with the stove (and also available in PDF on Avalon's website, but I'm looking more for the technical guide).

Thanks in advance!

Take your auger motor out and hook up to an old lamp cord an see how many times the gearbox shaft turns in 60sec. And which direction the shaft rotates as the shaft is facing you.That will tell you the rpm and rotation needed for replacement.

Take your auger motor out and hook up to an old lamp cord an see how many times the gearbox shaft turns in 60sec. And which direction the shaft rotates as the shaft is facing you.That will tell you the rpm and rotation needed for replacement.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. My only concern is that the motor is barely alive, so the timing I get now is much slower than what it was when I started using it a month ago. Is there any way to look it up via a parts list or another mechanism?

If you have the motor out it wont have a load so the timing will be close.

I took out the motor and hot wired it. It takes about 70 seconds to complete a full turn. It also appears to be counter clockwise if I look at it from the bottom, although I'm not sure if that's the correct way.

Image of motor:

12 second video of motor:

Any suggestions for a replacement motor?

rotation is checked with the shaft (red) facing you, and the bottom (yellow facing away from you.. if it is truly CCW.

Image1.jpg

this will be about the cheapest i have found and i have used motors from this co before and had good luck.

Thanks, in that case, the motor is spinning clockwise. The other challenge I'm seeing is that most motors have the "motor" on the opposite side of the shaft. Given the space in this insert, the motor has to be on the same side as the shaft. Those are proving to be a little harder to find.

I don't know of a Tech manual for Avalon. can you post a picture of the auger motor location? is there 3 inches between the auger motor and the rear of the stove?