1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

1994 pacific energy spectrum- should we buy?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Casbeck, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Casbeck

Casbeck Member

Hi all,
    We are so grateful for this site and sage advice when we bought our PE super 27 for our farmhouse.

Now on to our barn :) We invested in hydronic solar energy, but it doesn't work well in Seattle gray winters.

We're looking for a used stove to heat a 900 sq ft remodeled loft. we found a PE spectrum in great condition from 1994, not used much. Owner is asking $550 including delivery.

would you buy this? Good deal? Any concerns from that era?

Thanks so much!
    Christine

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, good deal if it is low miles and in good condition. Inspect for any problems. If none, go for it.
    raybonz likes this.
  3. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That is 1/4 the price of new, also owner asking $550 might even lead to a little better deal.
    As BG said, low miles and inspect = sweet deal :) How has your 27 been doing for you ?

Todd 2
  4. Casbeck

Casbeck Member

Thanks!

For PE 27, my husband thinks the firebox is too small. Heats fine, but hard to load in enough to keep temp up overnight. Burning mostly fir & alder.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    What's a "remodeled loft"? Is this a space intended to be sleeping quarters? I'm curious about the specific application of the appliance. Rick
  6. Casbeck

Casbeck Member

What's a "remodeled loft"?

2nd storey of remodeled old barn, has one large room including kitchen and 2 small bedroom/office spaces. Has been an office and workshop space and we're thinking of offering retreats with some dormitory sleeping.
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Might want to run it past your local building inspector/fire marshall/whatever authority has jurisdiction for such matters where you live. There are restrictions concerning solid fuel-burning appliances in sleeping areas. These restrictions are not uniform across the country, but are regionally specific. If the whole space you're talking about is wide open, it may be no problem at all. The space configuration and placement of the appliance make all the difference. Rick
    raybonz likes this.
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I recently picked up a 95 model, for $350. It's in really good shape, but the door handle is junk. One of the clips fell off, and caused the shaft of the handle to wear really bad. I'll probably order the replacement tomorrow. I don't see much difference compared to the new stoves, except the air control is in a different spot. This is the same firebox as the 27, I think?

I haven't burned it yet. The install is a summer project.

Does delivered mean the seller is bringing it to you, or is it being shipped? Either way, $550 seems pretty fair.