1st Time Post with Jotul 600 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron34422

Jul 25, 2011
Texas Hill Country
I have the opportunity to buy a Jotul 600 that's 7 years old...the owner states it's never been used and is still bolted to the shipping crate...he had planned to install it in a house he was to build and his plans changed...he's not sure if it's a catalytic or non-catalytic burning stove...I've asked him to check his owner's manual...still waiting to hear from him...Does anyone have an idea?...the picture he sent me looks the same as the new model 600 on the Jotul website...Would $1495 be a good buy for this stove?

thanks,

Ron

The F600 is a GREAT stove.

That is a super price IMHO. Grab it while you can.

Bill

At 7 yrs old, if correct, it should be a non-cat. If this is sized right for your needs, I would definitely say yes, even if it was the cat version.

Yep. A non-cat at seven years old. A great buy on the stove. Go into horse tradin mode and maybe even get it for less. That sucker would heat half of San Antonio or most of Waco.

Thanks for the information guys...this forum is great and was a big help setting up my current wood stove...I'm going to take a look at the Jotul tomorrow...My little Hearthstone Tribute worked well last winter but needed a lot of attention reloading etc...(wife's back is not what it use to be) ;) ...the winters here in Central Texas are not extremely cold but I figured if this a was great price on the Jotul I would just "throttle" it down a bit..."better to have a bigger stove and build a smaller fire" I think someone said once on this site...

thanks again

Ron

BrotherBart you were right about the 7 yr old Jotul 600 being a non-catalytic stove...picked it up today for $1300...looks brand new...still in the crate...half of San Antonio WILL be warmer this winter!...even scored a half load of mesquite rounds...it was a GOOD day...

thanks,

Ron

Attachments

• Jotul1.jpg
    Jotul1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 679
You owe me some sausage, egg and potato breakfast tacos. God I miss those things.

Great score on that stove.

My new 7 year old Jotul 600...It's sitting outside until I can do the break in burns and build a new hearth pad...sitting in the Texas sun the temp on top got to 160 yesterday! Maybe it will cure just sitting there?...:)

104_0434 by ron34422, on Flickr

104_0435 by ron34422, on Flickr
Ron

Wow that stove looks awesome what a great find for sure!

Edit: Somehow the link disappeared ......

Come in handy when one of those Texas Blue Northerns blows through. Other than that you can heat all the hills in Texas,

Great buy and good luck

Wow that was one hellava find and deal! That is one big heater to say the least!

Good Luck!

Ray

Awesome pickup and an awesome price on a 7 yr old NEW stove. Enjoy! If I remember Ray had a deal like that going on too, then it went away, pulled right from under his nose.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Awesome pickup and an awesome price on a 7 yr old NEW stove. Enjoy! If I remember Ray had a deal like that going on too, then it went away, pulled right from under his nose.

Yup but it was a bit older and had some use for $600.00 or was it 800?.. Hard to top the deal the OP got and talk about a rare find! Oh well that's how the ball bounces.. My T-5 while a good deal was about $550.00 more than the OP paid for the Jotul F600.. I think I did OK and have a new stove that I haven't fired up yet..

Ray

raybonz said:
..I think I did OK and have a new stove that I haven't fired up yet..

Ray

You did real well. A steel stove like God intended wood stoves to be with the cutesy iron stuff to look at while the steel does the real work. ;-)

Capt Ron said:
My new 7 year old Jotul 600...It's sitting outside until I can do the break in burns and build a new hearth pad...sitting in the Texas sun the temp on top got to 160 yesterday! Maybe it will cure just sitting there?...:)

Yep. The one place in the country right now that I would not be worried about a new cast iron stove sitting outside. Though actually, throw something over it at night. You are dry but dew is still a possibility around sun-up. The iron cools and you could have a mess on your hands as the air warms up.

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
..I think I did OK and have a new stove that I haven't fired up yet..

Ray

You did real well. A steel stove like God intended wood stoves to be with the cutesy iron stuff to look at while the steel does the real work. ;-)

LOL glad you approve of the steel as I thought you would! I like how the real work is being done by steel yet has the appeal and mass of cast iron (515 lbs. worth).. That appealed to me immediately.. The only gasket is in the door and one small piece above the baffle which has been mentioned here before.. Cert, BG, Hogs and others here have this stove or the steel PE cousins and they like them so I will be in good company.. Look fwd. to trying it out!

Ray

Right on Right on BrotherBart!...I feel like I have real man's stove now!...(I think there's some steel in there somewhere)...BTW I do throw a cover over her at night just in case there might be some dew...actually we haven't seen any dew here in about 6 months...It was 103 here today...I did my first break in fire early this morning...got up to 250 quickly...burned for an hour and removed a few pieces of the Norwegian wood from the shipping crate that was left...(it burned really well)...let her cool down to "room temperature" like the book says...at 2pm the temp inside the stove was still 130!...finally got to room temp at 7pm...100degrees...I might try the 2nd break in burn tonight...

Ron

Capt Ron said:
Right on Right on BrotherBart!...I feel like I have real man's stove now!...(I think there's some steel in there somewhere)...BTW I do throw a cover over her at night just in case there might be some dew...actually we haven't seen any dew here in about 6 months...It was 103 here today...I did my first break in fire early this morning...got up to 250 quickly...burned for an hour and removed a few pieces of the Norwegian wood from the shipping crate that was left...(it burned really well)...let her cool down to "room temperature" like the book says...at 2pm the temp inside the stove was still 130!...finally got to room temp at 7pm...100degrees...I might try the 2nd break in burn tonight...

Ron

Love it. Down to room temp at 100.

Got a lot of family in North Texas and even though up here we are miserable and breaking records it ain't nothing compared to what you guys are going through. I was still there when we had this same thing in 1980. It sucked big time. And I was still having to go to work in three piece suits. Boy did we pick the wrong time for vests to be business fashionable.

With the heat you are seeing, just leave it in the sun and it will be broken in.

whats a new one today cost? I would guess $3000 or more

Wicked good deal on a wicked good stove.

firefighterjake said:
Wicked good deal on a wicked good stove.

Thanks Jake...looking forward to fire this baby up !

I was a firefighter for 35 yrs...retired from Houston Fire Dept in 2002...I highly recommend it!

BeGreen said:
With the heat you are seeing, just leave it in the sun and it will be broken in.

Hell I think he could overfire that stove if left in the sun for too long!!!

:lol:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.