1st Time Post with Jotul 600 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="Capt Ron" date="1313456412"]My second break in burn on my Jotul 600...cruising at 300 F...Burning great even with the air temp outside tonight being 88 F...and only 6 ft of stove pipe used...the neighbors think I've lost it!

Ron you didn't lose it you found it! It is they that judge you that are lost.. Show them the light and the heat while you're at it!

:)

Ray

Capt Ron said:
My second break in burn on my Jotul 600...cruising at 300 F...Burning great even with the air temp outside tonight being 88 F...and only 6 ft of stove pipe used...the neighbors think I've lost it!

Quick question - when you do these break-in burns, outside, with only 6 ft of stove pipe, once the secondaries kick-in, are you seeing any smoke?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

leeave96 said:
Capt Ron said:
My second break in burn on my Jotul 600...cruising at 300 F...Burning great even with the air temp outside tonight being 88 F...and only 6 ft of stove pipe used...the neighbors think I've lost it!

Quick question - when you do these break-in burns, outside, with only 6 ft of stove pipe, once the secondaries kick-in, are you seeing any smoke?

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Bill, I had light smoke when cruising at 300 F last night...(flashlight shining through it)...I'm taking her up to 400 F tonight and will check again...when I got to 300 F there was an unpleasant smell but no smoke coming from the stove itself

Ron

Capt Ron said:
BrotherBart said:
You are gonna love that wood stove.
Right on BrotherBart...

Ray, the neighbors are bringing the beer tonight for the next burn...:)

LOL that's awesome Ron! You've got one hellava stove there for short money.. They are pretty just sitting there.. The gothic arches are timeless in style.. Being in TX you could easily heat yr. round with that big beast..

Ray

raybonz said:
Capt Ron said:
BrotherBart said:
You are gonna love that wood stove.
Right on BrotherBart...

Ray, the neighbors are bringing the beer tonight for the next burn...:)

LOL that's awesome Ron! You've got one hellava stove there for short money.. They are pretty just sitting there.. The gothic arches are timeless in style.. Being in TX you could easily heat yr. round with that big beast..

Ray

Ray, I think it will handle our winters easily...Now if I could just get it to blow cold air I'd have the perfect stove! Could you send a little rain our way?

Ron

Captain Ron- Looks absolutely wonderful.

Will be doing the break in burns on my F600 soon. Actually, it is down to 60 here tonight- thought about getting things started......but soon.

Remkel said:
Captain Ron- Looks absolutely wonderful.

Will be doing the break in burns on my F600 soon. Actually, it is down to 60 here tonight- thought about getting things started......but soon.

60!...Wow...that's winter here...time to burn for sure...I finished my hearth today so tonight will be my last break-in burn and I'll place her on the hearth tomorrow...I'm ordering new close clearance stove pipe soon...got an unpleasant odor around 300 F but went away pretty quickly being outside...going to 400 F tonight and see what happens...So far no complaints...

Ron

450-500F is where the real burn in happens. We broke in a Summit outdoors over the weekend. Didn't smell anything until it hit those temps.

leeave96 said:
Capt Ron said:

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

Inside or outside . . . on a break in fire things never really get (or should not get) hot enough to see many, if any, secondary action.

Capt Ron . . . I am truly happy that this stove may work out for you as it is a very good stove at a very good price . . . it would have been a shame to sell it to someone else if it had not worked out for you.

firefighterjake: Inside or outside . . . on a break in fire things never really get (or should not get) hot enough to see many, if any, secondary action.[/quote]

Thanks Jake...I did the 3 or 4 break-in fires like the manual instructed...last night I got up to 400 F according to the temp gauges sitting on the corners of the left side of the stove...both hovering around 400 F...cut the air back to just below half...this is what I got for about an hour...

Ron

That is pretty good for an outside burn on a short stack. Looks like you are ready for the hearth.

BeGreen said:
That is pretty good for an outside burn on a short stack. Looks like you are ready for the hearth.

It's on the Hearth!...I'm happy with it...need to order a few pieces of stove pipe and a rear heat shield...can you order parts from the company or do you have to go through a dealer?

Thanks,

Ron

Attachments

• P8160258.jpg
    P8160258.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 183
  • P8160262.jpg
    P8160262.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 184
Stove pipe can be ordered through the dealer, or hardware/bigbox, online store. Just stay with the same brand from stove to chimney cap. Jotul parts will have to come from a dealer. If none locally, try www.prestontradingpost.com.

Looks really nice you should be proud of how well it turned out!

Capt Ron said:
firefighterjake: Inside or outside . . . on a break in fire things never really get (or should not get) hot enough to see many, if any, secondary action.

Thanks Jake...I did the 3 or 4 break-in fires like the manual instructed...last night I got up to 400 F according to the temp gauges sitting on the corners of the left side of the stove...both hovering around 400 F...cut the air back to just below half...this is what I got for about an hour...

Ron[/quote]

Outside break in fire . . . impressed I am . . . Young Padawan wood burner . . .good secondary action you have there. . . a Jedi Woodburner you are now. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Capt Ron said:
firefighterjake: Inside or outside . . . on a break in fire things never really get (or should not get) hot enough to see many, if any, secondary action.

Ron

Outside break in fire . . . impressed I am . . . Young Padawan wood burner . . .good secondary action you have there. . . a Jedi Woodburner you are now. ;)[/quote]

Thank you Master...
My first encounter with a secondary was about 30 years ago...crawling on my belly...a learning experience for sure...

Ron

Capt Ron said:
firefighterjake said:
Capt Ron said:

Ron

Outside break in fire . . . impressed I am . . . Young Padawan wood burner . . .good secondary action you have there. . . a Jedi Woodburner you are now. ;)

Thank you Master...
My first encounter with a secondary was about 30 years ago...crawling on my belly...a learning experience for sure...

Ron[/quote]

Yup . . . a slow learner am I . . . realized I did not until a year or so had passed that flashovers learned by firefighters is essentially what secondary burn is.

BeGreen said:
Stove pipe can be ordered through the dealer, or hardware/bigbox, online store. Just stay with the same brand from stove to chimney cap. Jotul parts will have to come from a dealer. If none locally, try www.prestontradingpost.com.

Thanks for the recommendation to use Preston Trading Post...they gave me the best price for my Jotul heat shield...Friendly and very helpful...

Ron

Capt Ron said:
BeGreen said:

Thanks for the recommendation to use Preston Trading Post...they gave me the best price for my Jotul heat shield...Friendly and very helpful...

Ron

Yup, good folks. I'm glad they could help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.