1st time wood stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1984heritage

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
ontario
hello all

my name is mike and im from southern ontario

i just bought a house recently and decided to put a wood burning stove in my detached garage. i just purchased(used) a 1984 heritage woodburning stove and the complete chimney setup off of their house.

the chimney is 6" double wall insulated(outside diameter is aprox 11")

i have run 2' of stove pipe from the top of the stove to a 90 elbow and then directly into the thimble(which passes through drywall,vapour barrier, bat insulation,a layer of wood sheeting and then the siding. outside of the garage the thimble is attched to the cleanout, and runs up the side of the wall about 8 ft/

i have read that the thimble is intended for passing through combustible walls. my question is how much, if any clearance is required when passing through a combustible wall(ie siding/sheeting)???

any help is greatly appreciated
if this is posted somewhere else i apologize, i am not very good at navigateing these forums yet

mike

If you are actually using this as a garage, you might want to think twice about having an open flame in there. Gasoline and all the other flammables stored in typical garages don't play nicely with fire. My guess is that it is not allowed by code in CA as well.

i do not plan on using it as a typical garage. if i pull the car in there it will only be to do repairs or an oil change. i use the garage as a smoking / rec room.

we ran a 55 gal burn barel stove coversion in our garage.. it worked pretty good and we had no wall insulation and it was super drafty 2 car with a greese pit, and attic. it worked really good we would toss wood in it just when we needed to work on somthing, and it would be like hawaii in there, this was in northern minnesota in the dead of winter when it was super cold.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.