2-6 week EV test drive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
Local newspaper had an article about a local resident getting an F-150 Lightening to test drive. Rural-Reimagined is the group offering the EV's to test. They are based at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville,TN. Article says you can apply to drive the F-150 or other EV's at https://rural-reimagined.com/states/tennessee. Our local electric co-op is hosting a viewing of the truck.

Reactions: EbS-P
Good concept for a program. And I get it, demographics say truck country. But that vehicle is not the best ambassador for EVs. Why barrow an EV if you can’t charge it at home? Took two weeks to get my charger installed. Nearest charger is 3 miles away and we frequently visit that shopping center. It was still kinda a PITA. Two late night charging runs were needed.

EVs are ready for low income areas just based on the economics of them. What we need in those areas is more public infrastructure and subsidized charging. It will takes some time to get that in place and once it is maybe there will be a decent EV under 25k. But you need infrastructure to service them (cough cough Tesla).

I see they have other vehicles in the fleet but the charging will be a problem. Local electric co-op has chargers at their offices but not any others around that I know of. The person locally that is using the F150 lives quite a way out from any charger and the program is all about EV's in rural areas.

Growing up on a rural farm most most homesteads had 240v receptacles for welders. A lot of equipment ran on 240 v if not 3 phase. So the infrastructure is there. So if it came with a mobile charger it would be workable