1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

2,868 miles later!!!!

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by georgia hillbilly, Oct 20, 2012.

?

was it worth the trip?

Poll closed Nov 19, 2012.
  1. yes!

16.7%
  2. no.

16.7%
  3. you are nuts.

75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. georgia hillbilly

georgia hillbilly New Member

just got back from a serious, 2,868 mile round trip to pick up the new-to-me charmaster! goes to show that craigslist is the best tool on the internet, and that rental cars do have a use. the rental piece-of-garbage-truck was only $204.00!!! nobody uses huge wood stoves in the south so we had to leave georgia and drive to pert-near clear to canada. THE kicker ...... we did it all in 61 hours! nobody has any money right now but i have plenty of time so we decided to save some serious money vs. a new one. stove.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woodsrover

Woodsrover Member

Loc:
    Northwest Connecticut
    I love rental trucks. I used to have a truck that I only used once in a while and then for the camping trips to Maine. I sold it a few months ago and will now rent a truck. We drive to Canada a few times a year too...I rent a car and put the miles on that instead of the wife's car.

Nice old furnace. Where did you have to go to get it?
  3. georgia hillbilly

yes, rentals are meant to be used and abused. for $.07 a mile i can wear out their shock, tires and drivetrain. we had to go to minnesota. anyone have an extra domestic hot water loop for this charcoal???
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Ha, well, I can camp in Maine any time I want to..............and the Canadian boarder is 30 minutes from my driveway. LOL, I guess thats why they call it vacationland.

On topic, don't get too charred with the old charmaster!
    My vote: Your nuts. How cold does it get way down there anyhow, haha?

TS
  5. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    lots of gas. I voted for nuts !
  6. georgia hillbilly

charmaster quoted $5400.00 for a standard model without the extras. i never asked the delux price. yes, gas is $4 a gallon and the p.o.s. rental got only 16mpg on a good day but..... saved a pile==c
  7. Before i vote,How much did you pay once you got there?
  8. georgia hillbilly

total cost involved was under $3000.
    lvsb likes this.
  9. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    GH, sounds like some of my escapades (sp?) Only I'm so cheap, I borrow a friend's truck (1ton) Usually good for some "guy time" too. "Oh hunny, I'm going to drive 2,000 miles and pick up a boiler that weighs 1,200 pounds. Drive, pick it up, stay at so and so's on the way back and leave at 2am." Haha.

TS
  10. wardk

wardk Member

Loc:
    B.C. Canada
    Sometimes road trips are great but for me 2800 miles would have to involve beautiful woman , classic car or antique john deere.Wood furnace ???
    NovaScotian likes this.