1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

2 questions on cleaning up an insert.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hills Hoard, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    I screwed up on Friday night. I had the fire going and was enjoying a bourbon and coke when I dropped the drink. The drink splashed all down the front of the insert and looks like the drink has been cooking on staining the metal fascia around the door. crap! So does anyone have a suggestion on how to get backed on stains off?

this also brings me to my next question. I noticed some surface rust on the insert too. I would like to clean that up and re paint. Has anyone done this?

I can get pics tonight if that helps.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Bummer. Sorry about the loss of good bourbon. :mad:;) Wipe it down well with a damp rag and let it dry off. Coke is a solvent and hot coke is going to etch slightly so you want to get it off right away. What stove and what metal finish?

Repainting is done all the time. Use the right paint, ideally one that matches the original. Here in the states Forest Product's Stove Brite paint is commonly used. Not sure about in your neck of the woods.
    Hills Hoard likes this.
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    If it is a steel stove and painted, your most likely going to have to repaint to totally rid the stain. Wire wheel on a drill and repaint, will look good as new.
    Best to find out what the original paint is prior to spraying with a different brand. Some are incompatible.
  4. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks guys. I will have a go at cleaning up then do some more research on re painting. then re paint.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Try putting a little baking soda on the rag as a polish for the metal. It is basic and will counteract the acidity of the Coke.