2 sided chop box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have watched all the nice chop boxes posted and decided it was time for one of my own. I took the shipping frame for the rototiller, through a deck of landscape timbers in the bottom and attached some straps. Works pretty good for 20 minutes of effort.

Attachments

• chop box.jpg
    chop box.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 390
  • chop box 2.jpg
    chop box 2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 365
  • chop box 3.jpg
    chop box 3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 392
Looks good solar.

Thanks Dennis. I knocked down a cord and a half of 20-24" stuff yesterday in pretty short order. It is a lot faster and safer than my old edge of the pallet while I stood on what I was trimming method.

Did you get a smaller stove ? Just wondered why you need to trim it.

I should be making something like that today but the ol' energy level has been running real low here lately. Looks like it works good! Maybe I'll stir myself up later today and get my butt out there and get something done later today. The allergy season has hit me me hard this year..... :(

SolarAndWood said:
I have watched all the nice chop boxes posted and decided it was time for one of my own. I took the shipping frame for the rototiller, through a deck of landscape timbers in the bottom and attached some straps. Works pretty good for 20 minutes of effort.

Looks good Solar, did the straps hold the splits good and tight?

GIBIR

woodsmaster said:
Did you get a smaller stove ? Just wondered why you need to trim it.

The wood I get is all over the place lengthwise as it is all urban scrounged and I cut very little of it. If it fits in the splitter (26"), it gets split as is and thrown on the heap just to keep the process moving. The longer stuff gets separated when I stack and cut down to 18.

zapny said:
Looks good Solar, did the straps hold the splits good and tight?

GIBIR

The straps keep it exceptionally tight, I drop right through the whole stack with the saw. I was a little doubtful but after seeing yours and others, I had to give it a try. I am glad I did. The frame is 4' tall, so I can get pretty close to 1/6 of a cord in it per batch. Very quick and easy enough that I can do it as I am stacking without interrupting the work flow too much.

Shari said:
I should be making something like that today but the ol' energy level has been running real low here lately. Looks like it works good! Maybe I'll stir myself up later today and get my butt out there and get something done later today. The allergy season has hit me me hard this year..... :(

Heard ya on the allergies. We went from one of the wettest Aprils on record to the sun coming out and everything coming out at once. I highly recommend building one, I wish I had done it a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.