2 sided fireplace – insert help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad101

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2009
Erie, MI
I cannot afford another winter using propane as my only source of heat. I want to install a cast iron fireplace insert. But I cannot find a 2 sided insert. In-fact I don’t even think they make 2 sided wood burners.

I’m probably going to buy one this week. But I’m not sure how to safely seal off the second side of my fireplace.

See attached photos; I could really use some help on this.

Edit: Should I do the stone work before or after installing the insert?

Attachments

• 105_1927.jpg
    105_1927.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 565
Welcome to the forums !!

What type of a fireplace is that Chad? Is it a prefab, masonary, etc? What type of a chimney? Inquiring minds are going to want to know :)

You're probably going to have to add some hearth area as well, what ever the solution.

How about a picture from farther back that shows what is above there? What sort of chimney is it etc? Where I'm going with this is that I'm wondering what it might take to remove the overhead there and put in a free standing stove in that corner...

Thanks for the replies; I have attached some additional photos with dimensions.

I think it’s a prefab (not sure). The chimney looks like galvanized pipe?? I can’t really tell. I took a photo looking up into the chimney if it helps any.

Attachments

• 105_1939.jpg
    105_1939.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 455
Here another from further back

Attachments

• 105_1952.jpg
    105_1952.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 474
chimney photo; it's 10" at the opening but, it looks like it may taper down to 8" (kind of hard to get a tape measure up there).

Attachments

• 105_1941.jpg
    105_1941.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 463
I'm really no expert in this area - I hope that one will jump in here with advice soon so I can learn a thing or two. However, looking at your pictures I imagine a free standing stove in that corner instead of that corner fireplace and it looks really nice in my head. However, it would be quite a bit of work - you would have to build out more of a hearth (likely in any case - insert or free standing) and pulling out that existing fireplace likely would make quite a bit of a mess.

The part I really wonder about is how to get a good chimney in there. I have a bad feeling it may come down to somehow removing the existing thing and putting a whole new one in which I will bet is very expensive - thus my hope that someone else who actually knows what they are talking about will jump in.

Edit: Note that the whole chimney question really applies both for an insert and for a free standing stove - re-using that chimney may be questionable depending on what exactly it is. Again - based on what I have read here as I have no real training.

If you put an insert in that gizmo, you're probably not gonna meet the clearance spec for that wall to the left...
'Twere me, I'd rip the whole thing out, build a new hearth pad, protect the corner walls,
& put a nice free-stander in there with a new Class A system...
Costly, yes, but with the 30% tax incentive, now's the time to do it...

Will this be an issue? Is there a clearance for combustible materials at the top of the chimney (see photo)?

For wall protection; would a stone face over the walls do the trick?

What about a chimney liner?

Attachments

• 105_1964.jpg
    105_1964.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 424
I’m tearing down the fireplace right now (taking a breather).

Here is an updated photo; any suggestions on what I can salvage and what should be thrown away??

Attachments

• 105_1966.jpg
    105_1966.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 406
Excellant picture, Chad !!!

IMHO, I'd rip it out and put a stove in there. I don't think an insert is going to work in that fireplace. I bow to those more knowledgeable on the chimney set up so far.

And another question is "what's under the wood surrounding the chimneys?" What kind of pipe/chimney? A pic from the top looking down would be good, too.

Might as well give us a house layout as well, while you're at it :) And where are you? What kind of wood do you have? Any thing seasoned/ready to burn?

Since you aren't scared about ripping it out.... go ahead and rip it all out. I doubt any of it is good for a stove. You should be able to extend that hearth out a little and put a nice free standing stove in there and then run rigid that's approved for a stove (class A?) Which will be expensive. The good news is that you've probably got enough of a hole there to not have to worry about clearances. Those prefab's really aren't good for too much which is sad considering they really aren't any cheaper which means it's a waste. I'm not much for debt, but even if you have to charge it, go with a nice setup and a adequate stove that you love. Remember it's part of the house and you'll make your money pretty quick. Good luck.

Now we need to pick out a stove for Chad!

So... how much space you planning on heating there? You have about 5 days left on the Woodstock sale so better get thinking quick if that is an option for you :)

I appreciate the replies; your help is very welcome. If you suggest spending the extra money on a good setup; I'll do it. Propane prices are killing me.

I’m not sure what is under the wood. It looks like a hack job from inside the attic though. The cut roof joists are not reinforced and it looks like someone went to town w/ the sawzall (explains "why" they hide the cutout with a large box). Plus the roof "bounces" really bad next to the chimney.

I'm still not sure what the inner pipe is made out of. I'll know for sure when get this insert removed tomorrow.

I have little choice but to buy hardwood for this winter. Next year I'll have my own seasoned wood ready to go.

I did take a picture while I was on the roof. The next two pictures are from the roof and the remaining show where I'm at with the insert demo.

Attachments

• 105_1962.jpg
    105_1962.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 368
down in; on roof

Attachments

• 105_1958.jpg
    105_1958.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 346
Slow1 said:

So... how much space you planning on heating there? You have about 5 days left on the Woodstock sale so better get thinking quick if that is an option for you :)

I really like the soap stone stoves. But, I would like something that qualifies for the tax incentive. There's a small, locally owned wood stove shop in Toledo. He says he will beat any price. I don't think he has any soap stone stoves listed on his site though (He has a few at the store). http://www.coal-woodburner.com

We have a 1580 sqft ranch style house.

Well, he certainly has quite the selection. I am not aware of any soapstone that doesn't qualify for the tax credit.

chad101 said:
Slow1 said:

I really like the soap stone stoves. But, I would like something that qualifies for the tax incentive. There's a small, locally owned wood stove shop in Toledo. He says he will beat any price. I don't think he has any soap stone stoves listed on his site though (He has a few at the store). http://www.coal-woodburner.com

All the woodstock stoves qualify. You won't find them in any shop as they only sell direct. However as much as the sale price is a good deal I advise against rushing into a decision (however do note that Woodstock is the only company that has a satisfaction guarantee where they will buy back the stove for full price in 6 months if you are not happy so consider the 'risk' there eh?). Choose your stove wisely or you may end up living with regret or paying 2x as much when you go out and buy a new stove next season - there are far more of us who have done this than I realized when I decided to change after less than 6 months of burning.

Shop around a bit, but more importantly read up here and get the real world experiences from folks. Try and find experiences from folks who burn the way you are likely to burn with the types of wood you have available and the hours you keep - no one stove is for everyone that is for sure!

You seem to be very comfortable doing your own work which seems to me to be a good thing. I'll bet you will be able to take the advice from folks here and install a first rate chimney and stove so you probably don't need a dealer install which works to your advantage. Your dealer says he'll beat any price - but it will only be on the stoves he carries so choose your stove first, then if he happens to carry it great! We'll help you shop around and find the best price so he can beat it.

chad101 said:
Slow1 said:

Wow . . . he offers a wide range of stoves from the cheaper stuff to some really nice stuff, including Pacific Energy, Jotul and Hearthstones . . . and incidentally Hearthstone is in fact a soapstone stove and there are several listed at his website. I believe most of the stoves out there meet the qualifications for the tax incentive, but if in doubt ask.

Ok, the fireplace is gone. Any stove recommendations are welcome; the measurements are listed in some previous photos.

This is not an outside wall, the garage is directly behind it. Should I remove the insulation? Is it become a fire hazard?

Attachments

• 105_1976.jpg
    105_1976.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 347
Wow you're fast. You're gonna have to finish that wall (of course) but you really don't want to do that until you've picked out a stove so you can check your clearances and get advice on what you need against the wall. I'm willing to bet your little hearth pad thingie will have to come out too but I'd wait for someone who is actually knowledgeable instead of someone like me that just does stuff and lives with it later. I may be guessing wrongly but I assume you're pretty much open to anything as long as it's done right and looks good right? If you don't get some good suggestions and ideas then I'd make another post with that last picture in it saying you're looking for ideas on where to go now since your subject for the original post doesn't apply now. I will repeat again. Don't skimp and buy something just because it's cheaper. You're talking many years you will be enjoying it and you'll just be disgusted with yourself if you cheap out. But, also... most expensive hardly ever means better.

Status
Not open for further replies.