2 smaller loads yesterday - want to i.d.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
It's raining out - no splitting today.

Want to guess what kind of wood I have here? Two different loads, two different types of wood:

First load:

type2b.jpg

Second load:
type1b.jpg

I have no idea what I have here other than 'guesses' from the persons I got it from.

All I know is it is BTU's. :)

Frist load Apple second hackberry. Just a guess though.

I think the first is a cherry, probably edible type of cherry. The biggest piece of the second pic does look like Hackberry, but the other piecees don't look like Hackberry to me.

Thanks for the responses so far. Providing additional info:

On the first one, all I can tell you is this was a dump off at our local recycling center - straight from their pickup truck into my trailer (never hit the ground! Ha! Ha!) With this one there were a LOT of smaller branches that I didn't take - around 2-3" in size so maybe it was some type of fruit tree (apple or cherry). They said it was Ash - but I seriously question that. There might be at least one other type of tree in that mix also as they said they were clearing a fence line.

The second one: The only thing the CL 'giver' said was "It's stringy when you split it." So, going on that, the only guess I have is Elm. I could tell a little better when I split it but it's raining outside right now.

Any way you look at it: Free BTU's are great! :)

+1 for cherry on the first one.

The second load looks like a mixed bag to me. I'm not familiar with hackberry, but aside from the largest round, I see mostly maple. The smooth piece in the back right looks like a young maple limb, but the one light colored one seems like something else entirely.

I agree on the first pic potentially being cherry or apple.

I have no idea what the second is, but it is not Hackberry. Hackberry bark is not that furrowed....more "warty".

Creekyphil said:
+1 for cherry on the first one.

The second load looks like a mixed bag to me. I'm not familiar with hackberry, but aside from the largest round, I see mostly maple. The smooth piece in the back right looks like a young maple limb, but the one light colored one seems like something else entirely.

Agree - it could be.

First photo . . . definitely a fruit tree of some sort . . . apple, plum, etc. You'll know a lot better when you split this up and smell it.

Second photo . . . doesn't quite have the look of elm.

Call me crazy, but the end grain, heartwood:sapwood ratio, and bark of the furthest piece to the right is screaming thornless honey locust out to me... but I can easily see some of the other options mentioned as well.

No idea on the second one.

Jags said:
ploughboy said:
I'm thinking +1 Cherry, and +1 locust.

Double it!

Geez, folks, don't go making me drool over the wood I got. Cherry and locust would be wonderful additions to my stash. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.