2 tries on this stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Was almost to the height I wanted. THEN: :bug:
The last straw. the wood is frozen, slick & icy.
For you guys that have never had this happen, here's what it looks like to have a row fall over :(
Somethings, What's worth doing once is worth doing twice, & no choice on this one.
Now I wonder when the ground thaws, how much will still be standing?

102_4213.jpg

I can sympathize with you - I had the same thing last year when I clipped one stack with the snow plow - one stack fell, then the next stack fell, you get the idea. Problem was the tarps were all mangled up in the mess. This year I changed the way I store my wood.

Shari

I have it happen too, as recently as yesterday. It started raining here, and shortly after that I noticed the loose end of the stack I've been burning from had done the same thing you have pictured.

Don't just cross stack the end two pieces.
Run a couple back into the pile to tie the end into the stack.

almost to the height I wanted. THEN

Boy do I know the name of that tune...

...and late at night at the supper table when all of a sudden you hear Kaboom. It's enough to make a priest swear and forced me into piling our wood. While it may not look kosher at least it stays put.

First thing to do, is get that stuff off the ground.

Hogwildz said:
First thing to do, is get that stuff off the ground.

What hog said. Rick

I have never had that happen to me - a stack of birch collapse. Mine was oak and maple.

I have two long rows of oak.
Both slowly started leaning towards the sun.
One I sledged the splits so the stack wasn't leaning anu mor e and two days llater it went over the other way.
The other one is still leaning.

I had a short stack of birch and aspen 'temporarily' between two trees. Went over with the first wind storm .

I've had a long row start going over way down at the beginning while I was still splitting and stacking this end.
Whole thing went over like a snake. Picked up all my tools and called it a day.
I don't go more than 6 or eight feet any more or drive a metal pole or criss-cross, although I don't have a lot of luck with criss-cross, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.