sebring Posted By sebring, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:09 PM

1. sebring

sebring
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2011
    Loc:
    PA
    I have a englander 30 and it is great. Throws lots of heat. But no matter how hot I got the stove, the house would struggle to break 65. Its in the basement, obviously not the ideal placement. So I tried something. I unhooked the oil furnace, and plugged another stove. fired them both up and now the house is 70+ Now here is the good news. I can burn them both at low air and use about the same amount of wood I was trying to blast with the englander 30.

2. pen

pen
    There are some who call me...mod. 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Glad your warm.

Just be certain that the old oil furnace chimney is rated for wood stove use. Even some masonry chimneys that were designed for an oil boiler may not be safe for a wood stove. And metal pipe may not be class A, wood rated.

pen

3. wkpoor

wkpoor
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    I'm headed in the same direction. It was 22 degrees this morning with 25mph+ winds. 1st floor just wouldn't go past 63. Just not enough BTUs to keep up with the loss. Hooked up a 100lb tank to the furnace and even it seem to struggle to make 3 more degrees were I let it give up and shut off.

4. SteveKG

SteveKG
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2009
    Loc:
    Colorado Rockies
    Yep, we have one stove near each end of the house [house is rectangular so one stove near each narrow end in whichever room]. We can heat the house with either stove, but there will be some pretty coolish areas. We also have a third stove out in an attached greenhouse we only burn maybe a dozen times a year. But some days we need all three.

5. Todd

Todd
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yeah I found it better to have two smaller stoves, one on each level than one large oversized basement stove. Much more even heat throughout.

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm curious, is this an insulated basement? How hot does it need to get down there to achieve 70+ upstairs?