1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

2 wood stoves--- finally warm

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by sebring, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sebring

sebring Member

Loc:
    PA
    I have a englander 30 and it is great. Throws lots of heat. But no matter how hot I got the stove, the house would struggle to break 65. Its in the basement, obviously not the ideal placement. So I tried something. I unhooked the oil furnace, and plugged another stove. fired them both up and now the house is 70+ Now here is the good news. I can burn them both at low air and use about the same amount of wood I was trying to blast with the englander 30.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Glad your warm.

Just be certain that the old oil furnace chimney is rated for wood stove use. Even some masonry chimneys that were designed for an oil boiler may not be safe for a wood stove. And metal pipe may not be class A, wood rated.

pen
  3. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    I'm headed in the same direction. It was 22 degrees this morning with 25mph+ winds. 1st floor just wouldn't go past 63. Just not enough BTUs to keep up with the loss. Hooked up a 100lb tank to the furnace and even it seem to struggle to make 3 more degrees were I let it give up and shut off.
  4. SteveKG

SteveKG Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado Rockies
    Yep, we have one stove near each end of the house [house is rectangular so one stove near each narrow end in whichever room]. We can heat the house with either stove, but there will be some pretty coolish areas. We also have a third stove out in an attached greenhouse we only burn maybe a dozen times a year. But some days we need all three.
  5. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Yeah I found it better to have two smaller stoves, one on each level than one large oversized basement stove. Much more even heat throughout.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm curious, is this an insulated basement? How hot does it need to get down there to achieve 70+ upstairs?