1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

2 Year Old Jotul 550c Rockland - Right side blower stopped working

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by vector1701, Jan 23, 2013.

1. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    The blade fans spin fine so there is not an obstruction. I checked the incoming voltage and it seems like there is power when switched on. There is no sign of any wires burt or frayed. Anyone have a blower fan break? We do not run stove often, maybe 3-4 times a week when the temp goes below 40, so it has not been used much. I called the place I bought it from and they said the stoves only have a 1 year warranty, but the blower is probably 80 bucks. I called jotulparts.com and they looked up the part, and it is a whopping $260.

Now I am pissed that this part died. I am further pissed if this is going to cost $300. Plus, the fans looked as if you might need to remove the whole stove to replace the fans.

From what I researched, Jotul's customer service is through their dealers, they don't deal with customers directly. Is this the case?

Anyone have a fan blower die? Is it a DIY job or do I need to hire a pro to replace it?

Most importantly, do I have a case to get this fixed at low to no cost by Jotul?

Thanks for reading and responding.....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Smoky

Smoky New Member

Chances are its the motor. Wood inserts pull whatever's laying on the hearth into the squirrel cage. Over time if not periodically cleaned, the motor could bog down and eventually fail. Take that motor out, have it checked out, if its shot you should be able to replace he motor alone for roughly $85-$110.
    vector1701 likes this.
  3. 46hemi

46hemi Member

Loc:
    Southern CT
    Removing the motor should be easy. Open the door, lift the small lower grate straight up and out, then the fans should be accessible. I too am having a problem with a blower on my 550 but mine is squeaky - really annoying. Tried lubricating but it came back. If anyone knows a generic replacement that would be awesome.

Maybe you can try and swap the leads from each fan to make sure its the fan?
    vector1701 likes this.
  4. rkofler

rkofler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Long Island
    The fans do come out pretty easily. I like the idea of swapping the power lead to each fan. That would certainly narrow down the problem. I would ask dealer to at least speak to their Jotul rep and see what they can do. Can't hurt to ask.
    vector1701 likes this.
  5. jotul rock550

jotul rock550 New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pa
    Just replaced the right hand blower on saturday - sounded like the bearings were going. The stove is just two years old. payed $150.00 at the stove shop and did it myself in about 10 min. It is just attached by two tabs behind the blower - no tabs required. I would also be interested to know if there is a generic replacement - but from the sound of things $150 isnt a bad price for a new fan.
  6. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA

Replaced the right side blower last year... $150. Mine seized up.
  7. vector1701

vector1701 Member

Loc:
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Can you tell me your supplier? My dealer thankfully worked with Jotul and was able to get me a replacement since I was so close to the end of the warranty period (a few months out of warranty). But if it fails again down the road it would be good to have a replacement option.

Thanks!
  8. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    pm sent.