1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

20 yards of wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by nsfd95, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    Local excavating company if offerring 20 yard dumpsters of split and aged (year and a half) mixed species for $500 bucks plus $30 dollar delivery fee. Dumped where you want it.
    Anybody think this a good price? He claims it is 5.5 to 6 cords

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    so, 3x3x3x20 is 540 cu. ft and there are 128 cu ft in a stacked cord which I assume they aren't. Maybe he is talking face cord?
  3. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Really only about 4 cords but still a good price.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    General consensus on a loose tossed cord is between 180 and 210 cu ft so using an optimistic 180, it would be 3 cord tossed.

If properly stacked, it would be 4.7 cord.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, if tossed in, you are probably looking at 3 cords +/-.
    166 bean pods per cord. Take a survey of your local prices, then make a call. Of course if it is truly seasoned, that has worth also.
  6. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Is it mixed species of hard wood, or mixed species -hard and soft? I have been on Long Island a lot lately, and from what I could see, there is firewood everywhere down there, especialy out on the eastern end. Wish I could do some scrounging. Must not be too many wood burners. Are you in the town that just outlawed Out door wood burners?
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Dumpster on truck is 32 yards and holds 5-5.5 cords of 16" wood. Dumpster on trailer is 42 yards and holds 6.5-7 cords. Been haulin' wood 21 years and 20 yds of loose wood is not 5 cord unless maybe they stack it in.

Attached Files:

8. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    Your right Dunebilly we've wood up the wazoo out here. This is the first time in my life I have even considered buying wood. As far as full cords out here your looking at between 1$180-$260 the price you pay to live in the Hamptons I guess. I wish I had one of those mansions on the ocean. Then I could burn all the oil I wanted (lol). Thanks for all your ideas and tips.. if I decide to buy it you all will be the first to know, because I cant tell my wife!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.