Dumping Amazon Prime

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Amazon rarely if ever did one day delivery for many of my itemsI ordered when I was on Prime. They use USPS for most "one day" deliveries in my area and they ship to regional USPS facility before transfer to the local PO, in many cases that means two day delivery to my place.

One of the many tradeoffs for living in the woods of rural NH within walking distance of major trailheads to the White Mountains and only 2 traffic lights in town.

It makes sense to have the order filled the same speed for everyone, and a delay in sending it out for non prime members.

It’s always nice to have a article sent to you and the purchase price refunded, but there’s no way that policy doesn’t screw the next guy who orders it with a higher price. Someone has to eat the cost. It’s not the business.

Reactions: fbelec
An update on my experiment. For several months, ordering from Amazon without Prime worked pretty well, most orders came in few days, maybe one day delay compared to Prime. Lately Amazon seems to have introduced a delay in shipping out of the warehouses. I will order an item and will get a one week delivery estimate and if I track it, it will sit in the warehouse for several days before shipping. Once it ships, it takes about the same time to ship as when I had Prime.

The other change seems to be that Amazon seems to be having more Prime exclusive deals where they discount items for Prime members.

The final thing I noticed is the Amazon credit card does not do cash back for non Prime members.

Still not sure if its worth the annual fee as it looks like the Prime video selection is still not great.
I’m getting my stuff just as quick. Might be location, Im near highways and hubs. Still getting cash back on my Amazon card, just not as much. Thinking about going to a fidelity card instead.
Happy not to be funding Bezo more than I have too.

It makes sense to have the order filled the same speed for everyone, and a delay in sending it out for non prime members.

It’s always nice to have a article sent to you and the purchase price refunded, but there’s no way that policy doesn’t screw the next guy who orders it with a higher price. Someone has to eat the cost. It’s not the business.
No, such costs are spread across the business, not directly on the next person(s) buying that one item. My household spends $45k - $50k per year at Amazon, any single-item refund sort of disappears in the noise, at that point.

I'm one of "those people" that agree to a one month trial for Prime and then cancel before the month is over. We don't have cable/dish tv either. In all honesty, I have a tough time buying ephemeral items...a paper book
is much preferred over an ebook or a CD of music works better for me than a music subscription.
Same with movies. I'm old fashioned I guess.
The biggest issue I have about Amazon is 'where' the item is coming from...a while ago I ordered a purse for my daughter and it took 3 months to get here--it came directly from China! Now I'm very careful to check the "shipping from" portion of the write-up (if there is one)....especially if I need it fairly quickly.

Ebay is a good resource for me. One of my hobbies is fixing up old (really old) sewing machines and Ebay
has had a nice selection of parts/supplies that I've needed; and they were shipped from USA.

I'm one of "those people" that agree to a one month trial for Prime and then cancel before the month is over. We don't have cable/dish tv either. In all honesty, I have a tough time buying ephemeral items...a paper book
is much preferred over an ebook or a CD of music works better for me than a music subscription.
Same with movies. I'm old fashioned I guess.
The biggest issue I have about Amazon is 'where' the item is coming from...a while ago I ordered a purse for my daughter and it took 3 months to get here--it came directly from China! Now I'm very careful to check the "shipping from" portion of the write-up (if there is one)....especially if I need it fairly quickly.

Ebay is a good resource for me. One of my hobbies is fixing up old (really old) sewing machines and Ebay
has had a nice selection of parts/supplies that I've needed; and they were shipped from USA.
The shipping on those old machines and motors must be crazy. A friend gave us an old National machine from the 20's and it's a heavy piece of kit!

Reactions: ispinwool
You're absolutely correct! shipping on those metal machines is killer!
I generally find my old machines locally -- the delivery folks in our area break just about everything.
Parts are easily packaged and aren't all that big so shipping those isn't a problem.
The last treadle machine I found was sitting out at the end of a driveway marked "FREE". It's such
a shame because those machines will out-last/out-sew anything newer.
Then there's the sentimental aspect: I also have my Grandma's treadle😍...it's from 1927 and
sews like a champ! Any newfangled machine bought nowadays won't be sewing 100 years from now!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Dropped Prime early in the year. They beg me to try it again with each order. Not looking back and I don't miss it. I don't need instant gratification.

I don't need instant gratification.
It's not (just) about gratification. Today's example, although I could give three more as valid, by the end of this week:

It's 20 minutes to the nearest pet store, which turns into an hour with round trip and shopping/checkout time. We just picked up a new dog today, and found none of the collars in the house fit. Amazon Prime will have a new one here tomorrow morning for $7.99, in time for us to take this pooch to the vet.

I'd honestly be thrilled to pay triple that amount, to save an hour running to the pet store and back this evening. Prime is a bargain, in that regard.

Reactions: ispinwool
We're too rural for it to arrive that fast. Same here for distance to the pet store. I'd rather give the business to the local pet store. They are the ones supporting our community and schools. And I get to interact with some nice people there. Their resident cat is amazing. I might even enjoy some of the local scenery on the trip. Amazon couldn't give a damn about us anymore than a Walmart.

Reactions: Ashful
Last time I was at the pet store, there was a customer complaining that the store parrot bit her. The clerk said, “Don’t stick your finger in the cage.” I had to bite my tongue not to laugh. The parrot is usually outside of the cage on a perch. If it went in its cage, it probably wanted to be left alone.

We're too rural for it to arrive that fast. Same here for distance to the pet store. I'd rather give the business to the local pet store. They are the ones supporting our community and schools. And I get to interact with some nice people there. Their resident cat is amazing. I might even enjoy some of the local scenery on the trip. Amazon couldn't give a damn about us anymore than a Walmart.
We have a local pet store we use for food. Privately owned, we know the lady. Not much a selection on collars and stuff, so we use Amazon for that, to avoid the long drive to the closest Petco or PetSmart.

But more seem to buy their pet food and supplies at huge national chains like Petco or PetSmart. Might as well be using Amazon, at that point.

We have a local pet store we use for food. Privately owned, we know the lady. Not much a selection on collars and stuff, so we use Amazon for that, to avoid the long drive to the closest Petco or PetSmart.

But more seem to buy their pet food and supplies at huge national chains like Petco or PetSmart. Might as well be using Amazon, at that point.

I get all my pet food and supplies from Amazon or chewy. Local pet stores are much too expensive.

I'm still keeping prime for the streaming services. It's a minor cost compared to everything else, but living in such a remote rural area the shipping times are bad no matter what. Every once in a while I will get free overnight air, which is pretty funny when the package is something super mundane.

This reminds me of a story I read a few weeks ago:

I had just spent an hour in the bank with my father, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist asking:
"Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?"
"Why would I do that?" he replied.
"Because then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like that transfer.
You can even do your shopping online. Everything will be so easy!"
I was so excited about introducing him to the exciting world of online banking.
He thought for a minute, then answered "If I do that, I wont have to step out of the house?"
"Yes, yes" I said. I told him how even grocery can be delivered to your front door now, and how Amazon delivers everything!
His answer left me speechless.
He replied "Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends. And I have chatted for a while with the staff who know me very well by now.
You know that I am alone. This is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank. I have more than enough time, it is the physical touch that I crave.
Two years ago I got sick, The shop owner, where I buy my fruit, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried.
When your mum fell down few days ago during her morning walk, our local grocer saw her and immediately brought his car to rush her home, as he knows where I live.
Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online?
Why would I want everything delivered to me, forcing me to only interact with my computer?
I like to know the person I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds and relationships.
Does Amazon deliver all this as well?"

Technology isn't life. Spend time with people. Not with devices.

I had just spent an hour in the bank with my father, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist asking:
"Because then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like that transfer.
He thought for a minute, then answered "If I do that, I wont have to step out of the house?"
"Yes, yes" I said. I told him how even grocery can be delivered to your front door now, and how Amazon delivers everything!
He replied "Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends. And I have chatted for a while with the staff who know me very well by now.
You know that I am alone. This is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank. I have more than enough time, it is the physical touch that I crave.
Two years ago I got sick, The shop owner, where I buy my fruit, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried.
When your mum fell down few days ago during her morning walk, our local grocer saw her and immediately brought his car to rush her home, as he knows where I live.
Why would I want everything delivered to me, forcing me to only interact with my computer?
I like to know the person I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds and relationships.

Amusing, but for most living in today's world, there's 30-40 years of corporate conglomeration between any store that knows their customer, and online shopping. In keeping with that tale, I don't think the management at the local Acme, Walmart, or Home Depot ever knew me or my wife well enough to cry by my bedside. In general, I'm not replacing "mom and pop" with Amazon, I'm just replacing one billion-dollar corporation with another offering better convenience and selection.

I would counter with doing things like banking and shopping online saves me time that I can better use spending with people I care about.

Reactions: NHWS
Amusing, but for most living in today's world, there's 30-40 years of corporate conglomeration between any store that knows their customer, and online shopping. In keeping with that tale, I don't think the management at the local Acme, Walmart, or Home Depot ever knew me or my wife well enough to cry by my bedside. In general, I'm not replacing "mom and pop" with Amazon, I'm just replacing one billion-dollar corporation with another offering better convenience and selection.
Agreed, the big box stores can be equally impersonal. That's not the point. Our local grocery store, Ace Hardware, pet store, and pharmacy all know us personally. They contribute to the kids sports teams, community events, scholarship funds and are there when neighbors are in need. This was more than apparent when my son needed emergency medication on a Sunday and the pharmacy opened up and had it waiting for us. When we have a project going for local non-profits the hardware store always cuts us a generous discount.

Yeah, Ace is one that has somehow managed to keep it together. They charge almost exactly double Home Depot or Lowes for things like fertilizer and grass seed, but they manage to keep the Stihl brand in their umbrella, and actually have a better selection of nuts and bolts than most of the big boxes. I'm in there at least once per week, but always for something small, since their selection is too hit or miss to count on getting all of the things on any larger list. But with the exception of chainsaws, all of my Stihl OPE was purchased at the local Ace.

We have one family pharmacy left in the area, but they're specialty only, they can't fill your regular prescriptions. We're stuck with only Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS, in that department. None of them will be opening for my sick kid on a Sunday, but one of the CVS's about 20 minutes from here has a 24/7 pharmacy. I've been using Amazon almost exclusively for OTC med's, the last several years.

Last edited:
I read something recently comparing Amazon today to Sears Roebuck & Co. of 100 years ago. Both operate under the same formula, delivering a better selection of goods to consumers via mail order, than would be easily available to them through local sources. Both faced similar criticism, in their times, for taking business away from local vendors. But when it went away a few years ago, folks lamented the loss of the venerable old Sears Catalog. from which most of us used to make our Christmas wish lists, among other things. Will our grandkids someday lament the loss of the great Amazon.com, to whatever appropriately replaces it 100 years from now?

Further to that, I was watching a documentary on dollar stores (I believe Dollar General is the big one in the US) where they offer consumers a fairly limited selection of goods at bargain basements prices. The corporations order that select few goods in such high quantities they get bottom dollar pricing.

Seems like that's the shift in retail, and I know my purchasing decisions are heading this way, one retailer (Amazon) to supply the specialty items I need, and a dirt cheap retailer to supply the staples we use daily. Seems traditional retailers are being squeezed from both ends.

We've lost 2 big box stores (Sears & Target (formerly Zellers)) in the last 10 years in my city, but everytime I turn around there's another dollar store opening. We now have 6 Dollar stores for a city of 70,000 people.

Reactions: bogieb
We've lost 2 big box stores (Sears & Target (formerly Zellers)) in the last 10 years in my city, but everytime I turn around there's another dollar store opening. We now have 6 Dollar stores for a city of 70,000 people.
I know nothing about Target, I think I was in one once, maybe 20 years ago. But Sears flat out deserved to lose their business. It's honestly hard to find a more mis-managed company of that scale, in modern history. They put themselves out of business with a long series of one terrible decision after another. Going back to the 1980's, or even the 1990's, they had the product depth, breadth, and corporate horsepower to bury any competitor, but they failed and made bad decisions at nearly every juncture.

Jeff Bezos has commented that he expects Amazon will go out of business in the future. The world changes and eventually corporations lose their way. Look at GE and Westinghouse, they both were corporate giants that invented the power industry, they got big and bloated and lost the ability to adjust the business model. Westinghouse got broken up and sold in many pieces, Jack Welch bought a lot of long term health insurance debt for too much money and raided the reserves to make GE look good during his reign but saddled the future GE with unsustainable debt. GE has sold off most of what made the company great.

I read something recently comparing Amazon today to Sears Roebuck & Co. of 100 years ago. Both operate under the same formula, delivering a better selection of goods to consumers via mail order, than would be easily available to them through local sources. Both faced similar criticism, in their times, for taking business away from local vendors. But when it went away a few years ago, folks lamented the loss of the venerable old Sears Catalog. from which most of us used to make our Christmas wish lists, among other things. Will our grandkids someday lament the loss of the great Amazon.com, to whatever appropriately replaces it 100 years from now?
It'll be replicators by then or everyone will be in a soma coma and all needs will be virtually satisfied.