Amazon Package Tracking change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Heads up, I have noticed lately that the Amazon package tracking on orders has become a lot less helpful. It used to list where the package was in the system by location so I could guess if it was on time, stalled or maybe show up early. It no longer does that at least with USPS packages. If I cut and paste the info to the USPS site tracking, the location data appears and I can click on full tracking data to see if its moving in the right direction. It does still show location with UPS packages.

Most of the time, I am not desperate for the package but with a mailbox along the side of the road, if I know a package is coming on a certain day I make sure to clean out the box early.

Luckily "porch pirates" do not seem to be a local issue although it may be related to a state trooper living next door with a marked car, another one with a marked car down the street and a couple of local prison employees in the neighborhood.

99% of my deliveries are delivered by Amazon which gives full tracking, I never get UPS or FedEx with Amazon. Will have to keep an eye out next time I get one from USPS but that is rare.

My wife is an Amazon Queen. Most of the stuff comes USPS and it a mess. The Amazon tracking is always suspect and the mail tracking is pretty comical to watch.

She doesn't think it's comical but hey, not my stuff.

Living in the woods, there are no Amazon trucks, Amazon uses USPS for almost all their deliveries once they get to Stoughton Mass where it gets transferred to the USPS. I see my packages go out for a joy ride on occasion to various post offices in New England until they finally end up in Gorham NH. According to recent reports USPS has a contract with Amazon that Amazon packages get priority over first class mail.

Exactly. Up here is all passed off as well.

We get Sunday deliveries from USPS. Talking to him they are paid well to do Sunday deliveries.

up where i live amazon is delivered by some new company, and boy are they bad, constantly dropping off at wrong address or not at all, making deliveries at 9pm, and the list goes on. Everyone up here has complained to amazon and yet they still use them... i actually stopped using amazon because of the poor deliveries and lost packages.

Reactions: BobcatBranch
Looks like Amazon changed the tracking to the way it was before, the locations are now shown again.

Last edited:
No problem with Amazon. FedEx what a crock two packages in the last month lost. Both times from Walmart call them first time want my money back now.this time called Walmart was told check with the neighbors and then call them back if it doesn't arrive. I replied I have no intentions of bugging my neighbors I am not a package delivery person I am not a postal mailman put my money back in my account and while you're at it tell them to go back and get wherever they left the package. I am so sick of ordering things that I don't know if I will again or not.

A lot of it comes down to the usual driver for a given location. In my area, the regular UPS driver is pretty good, but the FedEx and DHL drivers are pretty bad. The USPS has a larger number of different drivers, some good, some bad. Amazon's branded delivery service rarely sends the same driver twice. The drivers for the local big box stores are almost always bad.

Reactions: Falcon66
Here Amazon stuff gets delivered via all of the above (Amazon, USPS, UPS, FedEx).

Amazon drivers drive around here with the big sliding side doors open. I'm the last year I have seen 4 times packages (plural; 4 or more) roll out of a moving Amazon truck going around a corner. No stopping, apparently unaware of what happened.

Here Amazon stuff gets delivered via all of the above (Amazon, USPS, UPS, FedEx).

Amazon drivers drive around here with the big sliding side doors open. I'm the last year I have seen 4 times packages (plural; 4 or more) roll out of a moving Amazon truck going around a corner. No stopping, apparently unaware of what happened.
What part of LI? I'm on the Nassau /Queens border in Elmont and I never get Amazon from UPS or FedEx, it's almost all Amazon with the occasional USPS.

North shore, Eastern Suffolk

Living in the woods, there are no Amazon trucks, Amazon uses USPS for almost all their deliveries once they get to Stoughton Mass where it gets transferred to the USPS. I see my packages go out for a joy ride on occasion to various post offices in New England until they finally end up in Gorham NH. According to recent reports USPS has a contract with Amazon that Amazon packages get priority over first class mail.
Likewise, and we are just 25 miles away from Amazon HQ. Their ship dates are not good either. I ordered a quart of specialty wood finish on Jan2. It was supposed to arrive by Jan 8th. By Jan 13 it still had not arrived. I checked and it still had not shipped, but would go out (maybe) the next week. This is in spite of it being listed as available for 2 day prime shipping or 5 day regular. I canceled the order and got it through Walmart.

Likewise, and we are just 25 miles away from Amazon HQ. Their ship dates are not good either. I ordered a quart of specialty wood finish on Jan2. It was supposed to arrive by Jan 8th. By Jan 13 it still had not arrived. I checked and it still had not shipped, but would go out (maybe) the next week. This is in spite of it being listed as available for 2 day prime shipping or 5 day regular. I canceled the order and got it through Walmart.
I absolutely I'm not fooling with them. Kudos to you

We have an Amazon warehouse in the next big town over. If I order Prime I could get stuff delivered next day. Or if I order regular it will come in about 5 days. The difference is with Prime they actually ship it the next day and regular they just wait 5 days to ship it. It would come via the same Amazon truck from 45 min away.

All the delivery guys (USPS, UPS, FedEx) are great here. Walmart messed up a tire order I got and only sent 3 tires. When they finally sent the 4th tire a few weeks later the FedEx guy told me he wondered when they were finally gonna send that 4th tire. He knew 3 couldn’t be right. Haha.

Lol thanks for the laugh. I don't know what has gotten into shipping companies. For the past year I've had to hunt things down. They lost a bed frame January the 6th refunded me. But when they lost the twin mattress I had enough I was not hunting it down but they were nice and so was I I just told them I was extremely aggravated LOL so glad that you got your fourth Tire

Reactions: DonTee
We too have Amazon warehouses close by. Here's a curios thing. I have mail tracking updates set up for any package sent to me regardless of the source. This was setup during the pandemic after finding packages stuck at a USPS facility for a week. There's no charge to do this. So now, I get to see every step of the shipping. We had Prime, though now canceled. With prime, things come from the closest warehouse to us. Without Prime, I have seen several items, leave the local warehouse and get sent as far away as Denver, then to LA, then work it's way up the coast instead of shipped direct from the local warehouse.

We too have Amazon warehouses close by. Here's a curios thing. I have mail tracking updates set up for any package sent to me regardless of the source. This was setup during the pandemic after finding packages stuck at a USPS facility for a week. There's no charge to do this. So now, I get to see every step of the shipping. We had Prime, though now canceled. With prime, things come from the closest warehouse to us. Without Prime, I have seen several items, leave the local warehouse and get sent as far away as Denver, then to LA, then work it's way up the coast instead of shipped direct from the local warehouse.

I rarely have issues with Amazon. But Fed Ex is interesting. I ordered something from a place literally 30 miles away from me, in the same state (they only did mail order at the time). I tracked the package and it went to VT, down to MA, literally right past my place (within a mile) to western NH, then to me.

As for delivering to the wrong place - I constantly see posts on the local FB pages (my town and 2 surrounding towns) that ask if anyone recognizes a porch because that is where their package is. These are small towns and normally it is Fed Ex or UPS. I don't remember seeing an Amazon issue lately, but I could be misremembering.

I can say for certain, that the only package delivered to the wrong place for me WAS Amazon, back in late 2013. I had just moved into this place and they delivered to the neighbor next door. She came to my door and asked me if I was missing something. The package was 60 pounds, so I had to go retrieve it from her house in a snow storm - LOL

Fed Ex UPS and even the USPS uses a spoke and hub method where mail is routed to regional facility to be processed and then sent back out so packages sometimes go on strange journeys. Most local post offices sed to have a mail slot for local mail and another one for everything else and the local mail would skip the trip to distribution center. The local mail would be processed locally by the local postmaster. That went away in most cases thanks to folks like the Unibomber and folks who send envelopes of powder to politicians they do not like. The vast majority of mail in the US is now scanned at regional processing centers including an image of the parcel exterior is stored, that makes it a lot easier to track anonymous or mislabeled packages and letters back to the source. Reportedly some government agencies can even request that parcels or letters meeting a certain criteria can be kicked out of the automated system so it can be hand inspected.

This has stretched out local delivery times but its claimed that system wide it reduces cost. The new head of the post office has been actively reducing the number of regional processing centers and consolidating them to further reduce costs. Keep in mind that the USPS also has made a deal with Amazon that delivery of Amazon packages takes precedence over first class mail and in many rural areas during time when there are a lot of packages in the system first class mail is set aside and may not get delivered for several days. I see USPS folks out on Sundays making deliveries and apparently its pretty lucrative for the folks working but I have never seen them deliver first class mail along with the Amazon parcels on a Sunday.