2005 Quadrafire Mt Vernon vs. 2007 Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damselfly2

Jan 11, 2015
MA
Hello,
I am new here and new to pellet stoves. My husband I battled over whether to TRY and go with a wood stove using an old chimney in our new home versus a pellet stove in the corner of the room. I'm sold on the idea of a pellet stove - but the prices are incredible! I THINK we've narrowed it down to a Harman XXV and a Quadrafire Mt Vernon. We really want the classic stove look in addition to great performance. There's no shortage of threads on newer models but we came across older reconditioned models from a private seller and hoped the experts could weigh in.
2005 QF Mt Vernon for $2000 or 2007 Harman XXV for $3000 including vent pipe and thimble. OR...Is it just too risky and we go for new??? Any and all advice appreciated!
Thanks!

Nothing at all wrong with buying a used stove as long as it's checked out before hand so you have a idea what your getting into.

I bought my Mt. Vernon used maybe 6-7 years ago. I paid $1475 for it and had to drive 175 miles one way to go get it. $2000 seems pretty expensive for a 10 year old stove. Maybe talk them down some and get a warranty on it. It's a nice stove but like all stoves the maintance has to be kept up with. I believe the 05 was the last year before they changed over to the AE, which had its problems at first.

I have no experience with the Harman you mention.

Don't be afraid of making the seller show you a complete duty cycle so you see it work and hear what noise it makes. I believe the Harman may be a little quieter then the Quad.

I heated with wood for around 40 years prior to changing to pellets. I would never go back. Plan to buy your pellets in the Spring to early Fall to get a good selection and price.

Have gad a Harman for seven heating seasons and would have nothing else.

Compare used prices to new with both stoves. Used can be a good deal if you get a good deal. Some parts can get pricey in a hurry and defeat the savings. As for the wood vs. pellets if you let the hubby win you can remind him later when he is sick of processing wood and everything that entails. At some point he will gladly buy you a new pellet stove.

Bkins above has mentioned a key point. make SURE the stove operates properly. That said, even if it does they are like used cars and things can head south any minute. I have bought both a new and used stove this fall. Both are great but I did my homework on the used and IMO have been lucky to a degree with it. Bottom line: Used stove = used car. There are good deals and also really bad deals.

I do know the older AE's can have control board and thermostat issues that get extremely expensive. Kappel15 (Kap) here is a guy for advice there and he is a Quad tech and owns one. Both prices seem at the upper end to me for a used stove. It gets to a point where going a little more for a new one makes excellent sense.

The wall thimble and vent pipe is only worth so much also in the grand scheme of things but does add a fair expense overall. The main issue now is getting a good stove.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the great advice! With oil prices at an all time low, we've decided to slow our roll and do a bit more homework before our stove purchase :)
Harman dealer called me back today and said he agrees that the return would take a bit longer given today's fuel prices.

today's fuel prices.

Here locally, we paid under 2 bucks a gallon just a few years ago, and commented then that we never thought we'd see that ......... Now we are at $2.35 locally for 87 octane.

Point is, it was up to 4 bucks a gallon in between the points I mention. This stuff changes, don't expect this to be the norm.

Perhaps you should try and take advantage low fuel prices to get a good price on stoves that might not be moving right now...... Dino fuel prices aren't going to stay here. Plan ahead for which ever direction you go.

pen

Reactions: bags
Pen has an excellent point. If you do not need a pellet stove ASAP I would take my time and go for the major bargain possibly in the spring or early summer. The dealers know fuel prices are cheap and they need to move inventory. On the flip side they also know these oil prices and everything else WILL climb again. Timing is everything on getting a great deal. Go beat them like a drum.

A brand new harman XXV is 3899 (msrp). Personally not worth saving the 899 for a used one.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.