2009 Jamestown J1000 Programmable Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanF

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2009
Northern Ontario
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a Jamestown J1000 pellet stove, and I wanted to install a programmable thermostat. I bought a thermostat designed for a central heating system, and was told it would work with the stove. The thermostat has the following labeled terminals, O/B, Y, R, G & W. The manual that came with the thermostat does not provide info on what any of these terminals do.

The stove has two screw terminals, unlabeled and the most info I can get from the manual is that these are to attach a thermostat. It does not tell me what type of thermostat or what leads to attach.

Has anyone used a Jamestown pellet stove with a programmable thermostat? I hope I can get this to work!!

Ryan

2 wires are normally the R and the W. (Transformer and heater)
O and B is for heat pumps and Y is for cooling, G is for optional fan

DannMarr said:
2 wires are normally the R and the W. (Transformer and heater)
O and B is for heat pumps and Y is for cooling, G is for optional fan

If the stove hookup is the same as most other pellet stoves, DannMarr is correct...use R & W connections. If there's a little jumper wire in there, you can remove that too.

So you don't get confused, R is the FEED to the thermostat and W is the LOAD to the unit.

DannMarr said:
So you don't get confused, R is the FEED to the thermostat and W is the LOAD to the unit.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. How do I know which is which on the pellet stove if they are not labeled. Is there a way to check with a voltmeter? How does the thermostat recieve the popwer it needs (I think its 24V)?

Thanks again,

Ryan

RyanF said:
DannMarr said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. How do I know which is which on the pellet stove if they are not labeled. Is there a way to check with a voltmeter? How does the thermostat recieve the popwer it needs (I think its 24V)?

Thanks again,

Ryan

Ryan, it doesn't matter which wire goes to what on the stove. The stat is just a "switch", and gets the power from the stove. Probably not 24v....most stoves/stats work on millivolts.

May I suggest a programmable T-stat. Well worth the money for people with busy life styles. Relatively cheap at around $30.00 at HD or Lowes these days.

I would have to go check but I am pretty sure my J1000 (manual light) is not 24VAC powered. Which means you need to take it back or you're in for some fun finding a 110VAC to 24VAC power cube or some other way to power it.

Find a programmable tstat that runs on batteries or a simple mercury tstat like the venerable round Honeywell.

Then remove the jumper on the stove, and just run two wires from R and W on the tstat to the terminals on the boards. And maybe a jumper using G so that you can override the tstat with its fan switch, if it has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.