2009 NE Forest Prod. Equipment EXPO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to both of them. See you there, Lee.

I might go to the Maine one, depending on work and if anyone wants to go with me.

Great, Jim. I'm the Asst. Show Manager. Look me up when you get there. Bring your friends!

You'll get to see an Econoburn and an EKO close up. I tried to get ThisWarmHouse to bring a Garn, but they're going to pass this year. Too bad--I think it would be a great addition to the show. I also sent Gary Switzer a show packet. He's right up the road. I'd like to see him bring a boiler down to the track for the weekend. And I assume there will be the usual collection of OWBs on display as well. Hopefully a Central E Classic.

I just registered for Maine, not sure I can make it, but figure there is no harm in signing up...

Gooserider

Eric Johnson said:
Great, Jim. I'm the Asst. Show Manager. Look me up when you get there. Bring your friends!

You'll get to see an Econoburn and an EKO close up. I tried to get ThisWarmHouse to bring a Garn, but they're going to pass this year. Too bad--I think it would be a great addition to the show. I also sent Gary Switzer a show packet. He's right up the road. I'd like to see him bring a boiler down to the track for the weekend. And I assume there will be the usual collection of OWBs on display as well. Hopefully a Central E Classic.

Will do Eric. I am looking forward to it. I probably will bring my sons, a couple friends, and my cousin.

That is disappointing to hear about TWH.

Well, I'll be up at The Glen tomorrow AM with a friend, but the kids and my cousin won't be there. Weather does not look too promising, unfortunately.

Hey Eric - where should I look for you? PM me if you want.

I'm going to try to make the one in Bangor, usually work screws me up, but I've got a couple of months off due a torn rotator cuff, going under the knife tomorrrow.
Have to get some hearth.com hats or tees made up, actually I was looking to see if it had a beer garden on site. Good place to meet up......
The one in WG looks like it'll have more firewood stuff. A little more tuned to the DIY market , and other home based equipment. Way too far for me to drive.

The one in Bangor used to have competitions between equipment operators. Big azzed equipment. Been told a lot of fun watching these guys.

The organizers did a really nice job with the Watkins Glen show. My 8 year old daughter got a kick out the processor with the chop saw. I'm trying to figure out how to make an electric powered 8 way part of my life.

Attachments

• IMAGE_092.jpg
    IMAGE_092.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 317
It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours, despite the crappy weather. We were there on Friday when it was just rain flying sideways. I hear Saturday it was snow!

I am in lust with a TW-6. :coolsmile: But given the price, I am about as close to making firewood with one as I am to making love to Alyssa Milano . . . :kiss:

Chunks of ice hurtling horizontally on Saturday...after watching the processors run, it became obvious that I "need" something that splits up to 20 inch diameter logs and deposits them in in my shed.

I've got 2 good friends that just started burning wood at the same time I did. Between the 3 of us we burn about 25 to 30 cord a year. The thought of "time sharing" a processor has been a bad dream of mine. I've only seen the newer processors in a video. I like the "chomper", looks good in the vid. It's portable enough to go from site to site. Might even pick up some side work with it. I'd like to see various units in operation. If I'm smart, the bad dream won't happen, but it's a thought. I thought the smaller"Chomper" was about $15,000, but it only goes up 17 inch in diameter. Hopefully there will be a few units on display.

We have a similar discussion going in our circle. Our conclusion is that we are better off buying or fabricating a a splitter with an 8-way wedge like they have on the big processors and then buying everyone nice chainsaws. Unless you are processing thousands of straight small diameter logs, how much is that processor, the equipment to pick logs up and load and the equipment required to transport it all worth? The guys that were at the Watkins Glen show from Nebraska are willing to sell their splitter separately but I haven't received a price yet.

thats what got me mildly interested in the chomper. no crane needed, looks fairly easy to pull around from site to site. Would do ok if performs as well in the video. But, probably not in the cards anyways, just doing taxes, and if business looks ok, might try picking up a 80hp+ 4 wheel drive tractor. The best idea is to talk to my buddy that has a 6048, into buying the processor, he burns about 15+ cord a year. He's figuring out that the OWB, even though you can burn anything, burns a lot of wood.

I'm planning on going, though it's not certain. Wouldn't mind carpooling if anybody in this area is planning on going - I live in MA, very close to the intersection of 3 and 495...

Gooserider

I may have to inspect the Show the day before to make sure there are no fire violations. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.