2010-2011 winter prediction, maybe you want to rethink your wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm . . . I like the colder than normal, but not the drier than normal forecast for the Northeast . . . last year we were robbed . . . rain in January washed away all the snow and severely curtailed my snowmobile riding. :(

firefighterjake said:
Hmmm . . . I like the colder than normal, but not the drier than normal forecast for the Northeast . . . last year we were robbed . . . rain in January washed away all the snow and severely curtailed my snowmobile riding. :(

Winter up here was awful last year....no snow, too warm, rain ect. Even in Berlin, NH they were wearing shorts in Jan. So depressing.

It's all cyclical.

We just had the hottest June ever, by a couple degrees average.

We are ready. 4+ cords on the stack, figure I need 3.

No matter how cold it is, I'm looking forward to it this year. The third stove will be installed next month and this place will be a like an oven if I want it to be.

Our shed holds a two-yr. supply. About. A milder winter leaves us with better than a year left, a harsher winter leaves us with a bit less than a year. No biggee because of that. I always stay ahead in case I am hurt or something taking a lot of time makes it tough to get it in. The wood, I mean. It is rough and risky cutting up here in snow times due to the steep slopes in the woods and the difficulty keeping one's feet under one in those woods, old limbs and rocks under the snow making for slippery and dangerous footing. So I like to be way, way ahead on firewood. Then whatever the weather, it is a non-event for wood supply.

I have more than enough wood for this year. I'm not going to rush winter to get here, but I will be curious how the home will heat. I found close to 1" gaps in the top plates in the attic letting air out of the home. So the whole perimeter of the attic will be airsealed. All the interior walls were sealed last winter. Plus I'm hoping to get some blown in insulation up there and insulate the ductwork. Currently we have maybe 3" average in depth because it settled. I want to get at least 12-16" more up there. With all that combined we should see a huge improvement. Hopefully in wood reduction and comfort. Currently the garden wants to see plently more of this warm weather so old man winter can stay away.

Plenty of wood here too. I have about a 1/3 of this years in the shed, and the rest will be filled in soon.
The stove is being repaired by a friend who is a mech. engineer and a VERY good welder. We'll see how it comes out, but I hope to use less wood this year. While the stove is gone, the new tile and hearth will be put in, but that's for another post.
Back on topic. This is a pic of the one and only birch in the yard. Notice anything? I don't remember it turning this early in the year, but maybe it's just the nature of the beast. Or, maybe it's the beast of nature coming on.

Attachments

• birch 003.jpg
    birch 003.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 545
Status
Not open for further replies.