2012 Quad CB1200-I Firebox Bolt Sheared

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erikwoodburn

Jan 24, 2020
Snohomish, WA
Hi,

Wanted to take my firebox out to clean the ash dump mechanism (was getting sticky). The right bolt came out fine, the left bolt started to come out find until it got really tight near the end and I used too much muscle and sheared it off! Was thinking to drill it out and tap a new thread, but wanted to check what others have done. I don't think I have a good drill that will fit into that space though will probably need to buy a right angle drill, argh. Any suggestions on new replacement bolt size / thread count? Original bolt part number is 225-0120.

Thanks,

Erik

Drill and tap it. Take one of your other bolts with you and match them up. Get some never seize also apply to the threads when you reinstall.

Reactions: kappel15
When I drilled mine out I found that the nut welded to the bottom side just came off too. So I just went with a nut and bolt and all done. If this happens to you, you can easily weld another bolt on to the bottom side. :)

Ok, my father-in-law gave me an extractor kit I'll try first, but I want to make sure I don't get the extractor stuck in there or else it will really be a mess !!!.

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Your probably going to want to replace your burn pot gasket while you have it apart. Also, I usually work on the slide plate from underneath, if a wire brush on a drill can’t clean it up enough while it’s in place. It’s tight under there but then I don’t have to charge the customer for a burnpot gasket and I don’t risk your situation. Small hands are handy.

Reactions: erikwoodburn
Your probably going to want to replace your burn pot gasket while you have it apart. Also, I usually work on the slide plate from underneath, if a wire brush on a drill can’t clean it up enough while it’s in place. It’s tight under there but then I don’t have to charge the customer for a burnpot gasket and I don’t risk your situation. Small hands are handy.

Yep, the old gasket was toast. I got a new one and replaced it. I wasn't able to extract the sheared bolt, but I drilled it out and put a new stainless steel bolt down the hole with nut on the bottom using some anti-seize. Ideally I'd tap new threads, but I didn't center my new hole very well and I was concerned the bolts wouldn't drop plumb down the existing firepot holes. As it is now there is a bit of slop in the new 5/16" hole with my new 1/4" stainless bolt. But anyways everything seems tight and to be working just fine now.

Reactions: Ssyko