2013-2014 Blaze King Performance Thread(everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know shoot-straight, he knows plenty about how to run a stove.

Should run similar to your Princess, drag some wood over his place and take it for a test drive. :)

Zanimal, I may have missed it so if it's been posted I apologize. What is your chimney set up from the stove to the top?

About 15 ft

Straight shot up and out? Single wall or double wall inside? What kind of chimney?(class a, masonry, lined masonry etc) 15' is pretty much the minimum for these stoves but should be ok if it's straight up and out. May draft a little lazy when it warms up but now will probably be adequate.

It is double walled. Class A. 8" offset with two 45° elbows.
Threw a couple more chunks in and set it to w 1/4 for the night.
Big chunks seem to be extending the burn time but the stove top is cold.
Guess we will see tomorrow.

It is double walled. Class A. 8" offset with two 45° elbows.
Threw a couple more chunks in and set it to w 1/4 for the night.
Big chunks seem to be extending the burn time but the stove top is cold.
Guess we will see tomorrow.

Is it an 8" pipe or an 8" offset? 15' is already borderline straight up and out, adding the 45's isn't awful but they still take off the total height. What is the stove top temp and face of the stove on the sides of the door?

Blaze King told me anything under 18% was good.
I do not really have a lot of faith in this moisture meter though.
I have tried the ultra dry compressed sawdust logs from tractor supply and it did not make the stove function any better.

I think leaving the bypass open for an hour is too much. I talked to BK directly and they were almost insistent that I only do that if there is ice on the chimney cap. But I degrees these are steel boxes! I think maybe your wood is the culprit? A 200 sqft room with that stove should be cooking on high! My sirocco 20 sometimes burns me outta the just under 200sqft room. I learned quick that you flip the bypass as soon as the door closes. Keep it efficient. Keep us posted with your learning curve!

4 hours in.

12114006_zps2025a026.jpg

12114004_zps65f72a17.jpg

12114003_zps53cad77b.jpg

Gonna have to work to torch this load tonight, -13 already so I'll burn it hot tonight. Could've fit some small filler pieces in but this will be tough enough to burn up in 9 hours.

tonights load.jpg

Gonna have to work to torch this load tonight, -13 already so I'll burn it hot tonight. Could've fit some small filler pieces in but this will be tough enough to burn up in 9 hours.

View attachment 124941
What setting is "hot" with your setup?

What setting is "hot" with your setup?

I'm burning at the "o" on normal right now, that's about as hot as I ever burn. Stove top is a touch under 600* about an hour in. My wife gets up earlier than I do so I'll have her turn it up when she wakes up. If she doesn't turn it up in the morning I won't be able to get a good load in the stove.

I will say on my sirocco it runs much hotter after I turn down the dial. When its wide open most that heat is going up the pipe.

I will say on my sirocco it runs much hotter after I turn down the dial. When its wide open most that heat is going up the pipe.

yes, found that out with my ashford last night. above 2 i get lots of flames and heat up the pipe, but stove temps dont come up so much. much more efficient burn below that. it did ok last night till about 5 am, 2deg and 40kt winds were too much. also learned it best to reload when the stove is still good and hot with lots of coals. hope she can catch back up during day today.

This is how my stove did last night set on 2 1/4 out of 3.
I have not found that turning the knob down makes more heat. 2 1/2 is the setting required to keep this room at a constant temp. But it only does so for a few hours before the temperature starts to drop and I need to add more wood.

Attachments

• Stove Room.png
    Stove Room.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Outside Temp.png
    Outside Temp.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 181
what should one expect to pay for a King ultra, black door, Cat model?

Zanimal, you've been given some good advice but I thought I'd add my two cents. After I close the bypass I let my cat get to 12-1400, about 3 o'clock on the BK thermo. We get most of the heat from the cat so it stands to reason the hotter the cat the better to heat your house. After a couple of hours it does start to slowly drop (the temp) but even after burning overnight I'm still in the active zone, I just turn the dial up for more heat in the morning. Now if I'm home working, I'll periodically turn the stat up little by little to keep the heat up throughout the burn. So barring you're chimney not being long enough providing enough draft try getting it hotter before turning down to cruising speed. Good luck.

Zanimal, you've been given some good advice but I thought I'd add my two cents. After I close the bypass I let my cat get to 12-1400, about 3 o'clock on the BK thermo. We get most of the heat from the cat so it stands to reason the hotter the cat the better to heat your house. After a couple of hours it does start to slowly drop (the temp) but even after burning overnight I'm still in the active zone, I just turn the dial up for more heat in the morning. Now if I'm home working, I'll periodically turn the stat up little by little to keep the heat up throughout the burn. So barring you're chimney not being long enough providing enough draft try getting it hotter before turning down to cruising speed. Good luck.

i cant seem to get my cat therm past 1:00 or so. are you running a blower?

try getting it hotter before turning down to cruising speed.
I would dig it if I had to turn it down. Took over 4 hours on high to increase the temperature in the stove room 8 degrees to 64.
Then I turned it down to 2.5 and the stove makes practically no heat at all.

Attachments

• Stove Room 1-22.png
    Stove Room 1-22.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.