2014-2015 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)#2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you turn your flash off the glowing orange coals will at least show.
Tried that but they look purple haha

IMAG2329.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I got the call...............................................The call from the oil company........."hey are you buying oil from someone else?" They did a fill up of 30 gallons. She said they would skip me for the next two fill ups........Thanks BlazeKing!!!!
you are welcome...by the way, it's summer in New Zealand!!!

BURN TIMES

I define 'burn times' as the duration of time between reloads where the stove is maintaining an inside temp range of 76 to 72 degrees and there is still a good hot coal bed for relighting the next load. Variables such as sq. ft., insulation, window quality and quantity, and outside temps will have a huge effect on 'burn times'. In cases where stoves have similar efficiency ratings and load sizes, longer burn times simply mean less btu's per hour are given off as heat. Where BKs have an advantage over other stoves is in areas which have very long shoulder seasons or where the homes are extremely well insulated with lower heating needs. They have focused on smolder technology which allows long burn times where less heat is required. The down side at these low and slow burn rates is black glass (no fire view), and in some cases a slight smoke smell and more frequent cap cleanings due to potential clogging.. I live in an area of the county where winters are on the milder side and I have a well insulated home. Bk was high on my list, but ultimately I decided to go with a Progress Hybrid. Good looks and fire view capability at low and slow burns won out. I generally can get 16 hour burns during normal Tenn winters, but I opt for 12 hour burns because it fits better into my schedule. I only fill the stove to about 70% capacity (4 to 5 splits of good dry wood). I wish I had room for a second stove because I would love to try a BK Ashford. I think we are extremely lucky to have such good stove options to choose from.
Allow me to clarify one point TennDave.

Imagine placing 50 lbs of wood in an open pit. Due to unregulated air infusion, the burn rate and time would be uncontrolled. On that all will agree. Now place the same 50 lbs in ANY OTHER stove with a manual air control. As the fire becomes more involved, the room temp will increase as heat output and burning of the fuel becomes more involved. On that we can agree as well. However, as opposed to the open pit, you can go turn down the amount of air allowed into the firebox, which will drop room temperature. When it get too cold, you open the air control to increase the heat output. Can we agree on this as well? With regard to our products, We have had many studies and field comments showing the heat output is more consistent than an HVAC system. That has been my own experience as well.

Now, place the 50 lbs in a Blaze King catalytic, thermostatically controlled stove. As the fire increases and burn rate and temps also increase, I will go do something else, like fishing or hunting or working on my car, but I DO NOT NEED TO GO ADJUST for the unevening burning nature of cord wood, which is not a metered fuel. The thermostat does that for me....and other Blaze King owners.

That is both the key to the long burn times and increased efficiency. One other point, efficiency is not equal at all burn rates. When someone says "This stove is only 1% or 2% more efficient, that is the overall efficiency. Truth be told, Blaze King stoves are VASTLY more efficient in the low burn rates than other stoves and that is how 80% of folks operate wood stoves, according to dealers, consumers, EPA and industrry studies.

You are indeed fortunate to own one of Tom's stoves. Thay are a great company with outstanding products, staff and customeer support.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
Anyone back home to tell you how the mega split/Niels load worked out?
It lasted about 40 hours and then the cat dropped below 550F! My oldest son told me that he stopped by to "watch a movie' which means he attacked my stash of tequila and turned up the stove for about 5 hours. That may have shortened it a bit but it also may have raised the cat temp...which would be fine.

Reactions: Quentin2
Bur
13% is silly low, none of my wood is that low and I've been on the 3 year + plan for years now.(single rows/top covered) I have no idea how people get their wood that low. I guess every environment is different. ;hm
Feel free to burn below 22% m.c. fuel and all will be just fine.

Last edited:
Climbed on the roof and took the chimney cap off yesterday. Had a very small amount of black buildup, majority near or at the top that I could wipe away with my hand and on the cap.

I feel more than confident about getting through the burning season and likely beyond just fine, but will clean it after shut down this spring.

Our tube stove (on the same chimney) burnt rediculously clean but I'm more than happy with the performance of the Princess and the peace of mind of not worrying about a chimney fire. I won't complain a bit about annual cleanings as it is relatively easy with my setup and takes me about 20 minutes.

Allow me to clarify one point TennDave.

Imagine placing 50 lbs of wood in an open pit. Due to unregulated air infusion, the burn rate and time would be uncontrolled. On that all will agree. Now place the same 50 lbs in ANY OTHER stove with a manual air control. As the fire becomes more involved, the room temp will increase as heat output and burning of the fuel becomes more involved. On that we can agree as well. However, as opposed to the open pit, you can go turn down the amount of air allowed into the firebox, which will drop room temperature. When it get too cold, you open the air control to increase the heat output. Can we agree on this as well? With regard to our products, We have had many studies and field comments showing the heat output is more consistent than an HVAC system. That has been my own experience as well.

Now, place the 50 lbs in a Blaze King catalytic, thermostatically controlled stove. As the fire increases and burn rate and temps also increase, I will go do something else, like fishing or hunting or working on my car, but I DO NOT NEED TO GO ADJUST for the unevening burning nature of cord wood, which is not a metered fuel. The thermostat does that for me....and other Blaze King owners.

That is both the key to the long burn times and increased efficiency. One other point, efficiency is not equal at all burn rates. When someone says "This stove is only 1% or 2% more efficient, that is the overall efficiency. Truth be told, Blaze King stoves are VASTLY more efficient in the low burn rates than other stoves and that is how 80% of folks operate wood stoves, according to dealers, consumers, EPA and industrry studies.

You are indeed fortunate to own one of Tom's stoves. Thay are a great company with outstanding products, staff and customeer support.
Thanks Chris (BKVP) for your well written response. Make no mistake about it, I really do like and respect BK stoves. In my case, they just weren't the best fit, but if I had room for a second stove, I would love to try out a BK Ashford.

How many splits are in that load and how long are they? Thanks
Um not sure, maybe 6 splits and 2 limb pieces. It was on 2.5 from 9 last night til 730 this morning when I went to reload. 74 in hallwall by stove and 68 in bedroom this morning. Held those temps all night without any spike. Love this stove. It was 15dF when I was reloading this am...

Plenty of coals when I reloaded. That white oak really holds up nicely. The pieces are around 18", that one piece was 20" so I had to cant it in there to get it to fit. that's why there's a bright area in the first pic full of flame; there was no wood there.

Word to the wise on wood length in this stove though: I'm anal about stuff being close to the glass so I don't let anything come past the black frame on reloads that way I know it won't touch the glass when the door gets latched. The wood was originally cut for my old VC Encore which could swallow wood 20+ inches no problem as it was a top load, wood laying side to side. Not so with the BK so this winter I'll be cutting 16-18 "

Um not sure, maybe 6 splits and 2 limb pieces. It was on 2.5 from 9 last night til 730 this morning when I went to reload. 74 in hallwall by stove and 68 in bedroom this morning. Held those temps all night without any spike. Love this stove. It was 15dF when I was reloading this am...

Plenty of coals when I reloaded. That white oak really holds up nicely. The pieces are around 18", that one piece was 20" so I had to cant it in there to get it to fit. that's why there's a bright area in the first pic full of flame; there was no wood there.

Word to the wise on wood length in this stove though: I'm anal about stuff being close to the glass so I don't let anything come past the black frame on reloads that way I know it won't touch the glass when the door gets latched. The wood was originally cut for my old VC Encore which could swallow wood 20+ inches no problem as it was a top load, wood laying side to side. Not so with the BK so this winter I'll be cutting 16-18 "
Sounds like great results. Hard to beat oak. Love the color of your stove.

Reactions: Calentarse
Looking for -50dF tonight. I am not worried, just curious. The degree loss per hour on my home really takes off around -25dF, from there I lose more degrees per hour faster than the temperature drops. Been to the -40s a F couple times with the Ashford 30 already this winter, tonight's performance is more about my insulation envelope and less about the stove.

But if I can do anything to discolor the enamel, tonight will be the night.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Looking for -50dF tonight. I am not worried, just curious. The degree loss per hour on my home really takes off around -25dF, from there I lose more degrees per hour faster than the temperature drops. Been to the -40s a F couple times with the Ashford 30 already this winter, tonight's performance is more about my insulation envelope and less about the stove.

I can't even imagine those temps, last year we hit -20 on night and that's the coldest night I've had since owning a stove in 2009. I would be running the stove and furnace at -50 and not even bother trying to support the heat load with the stove. Of course your homes up there are built a lot better than my 1980's special. ;lol

Holy crap man. You need to buy another BK quick sir. At that kind of temp, anything special you need to do for cars? Also, in you case, I'm surprised your flue isn't totally clogged with soot.

At -50dF with no wood stove the duty cycle on my oil furnace is 57/60 minutes, so 95% and my degree loss per hour comes in close to 1 degree per hour lost.

So if it hits -50 and the house is +72dF, 12 hours later the oil burner has been running 95% of the time and the house will be around +60dF, maybe +62dF.

active cat = clean flue, that's not a problem, probably with any cat stove regardless of brand. Stalled cat will get you headed towards a dirty flue.

Good luck let us know how you make out.

Poindexter, odd question I know but at what temps can the average Alaskan be comfortable in a T-shirt? :)

I know my wife complains if it drops bellow 74*F in here but she is spoiled to the wood heat and there's nothing the electric furnace can do to keep her warm anymore. I would imagine after a brutal winter like you describe she would be thankful for 65*.

Sounds like great results. Hard to beat oak. Love the color of your stove.
Hickory is the only thing we have here that's better than oak, for sure. White oak and hickory are more stringy to split than red oak, but red oak is number 3 on my firewood love list. I never cut anything down, only use what's already fallen. The only wood old timers tell me is better than hickory in the mid Atlantic is Osage orange. I've never had the pleasure, but I've know of a few trees locally that I keep an eye on

The cream color is called Parchment from Dampney. Pleased with it. Had to pass the WAF

Reactions: Tenn Dave
Didn't notice this earlier, the BK looks awesome in white! You paint that yourself or is that an optional color? All the BKs I've seen are black except the Ashord 20 I believe.
Thank you. Painted it myself. Hard to get black paint covered with cream, but had to get the WAF. It makes it a pain now with the single wall that needs to be replaced with double. The new pipe will need painting and that means ordering more paint, and it ain't cheap!:eek:

-50F brrrrr that's like -45C.

Thankfully it's 42F here at the moment but still burning.

Rain fall Storm warning. Nothing better to rid us of the 'White Devil'

Hickory is the only thing we have here that's better than oak, for sure. White oak and hickory are more stringy to split than red oak, but red oak is number 3 on my firewood love list. I never cut anything down, only use what's already fallen. The only wood old timers tell me is better than hickory in the mid Atlantic is Osage orange. I've never had the pleasure, but I've know of a few trees locally that I keep an eye on

The cream color is called Parchment from Dampney. Pleased with it. Had to pass the WAF
Couldn't agree with you more. I have 50 acres of oak and hickory and I only harvest wind damaged trees. Never cut down the healthy ones. I must have 2 or 3 lifetimes of big trees already blown down. Life is good. :)

Thank you. Painted it myself. Hard to get black paint covered with cream, but had to get the WAF. It makes it a pain now with the single wall that needs to be replaced with double. The new pipe will need painting and that means ordering more paint, and it ain't cheap!:eek:
But it will be worth it if it solves the smoke smell. Trust me, I know from experience.

Poindexter, odd question I know but at what temps can the average Alaskan be comfortable in a T-shirt? :)

I know my wife complains if it drops bellow 74*F in here but she is spoiled to the wood heat and there's nothing the electric furnace can do to keep her warm anymore. I would imagine after a brutal winter like you describe she would be thankful for 65*.
Alaskans are in fact still humans:). I believe poindexter has said before he tries to keep his house at 85 deg. That's a lot warmer than folks in the lower 48 probably like it. That being said coming out of a cold snap anything above 30 feels ridiculously warm and in the summer sunny and above 60 is beach tank top weather. The interior Fairbanks area is kinda funny they hit 50 below in winter but they also routinely hit upper 80s in the summer. Colder in winter and hotter in summer then us down here in the anchorage Wasilla area.

I have no doubt bkvp could keep cat active for 40 hours with that load, I've had 24-28 hour active cat loads keeping my house up to temp when it's 35-40 using spruce wood which is basically pine!

My last gas bill was 80 dollars, I was around 250 for gas a couple years ago with no stove:cool:

Here's what mine looks like couple hours into load, not packed very tight cause it was from a cold start and had lots of kindling. Man I hate cold starts!
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.