2014/2015 VC Owners thread.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
That time of year again folks - inviting all Vermont Castings owners to join us and share in the pain :). Share your experiences, ask questions, and lets all help each other try to avoid nuclear meltdown in our living rooms.

;lol

Reactions: Calentarse
I'll start.

I cleaned out the Encore today. You might remember that after the big rebuilt last year I continued to struggle with stalls and smoke that I think was due to the steelcat gone bad. Close to the end of the year I got it warranty exchanged for a ceramic and things began to improve.

Well take a look at what I found on clean out today. This is after about 1.5 cord. :(
2014-10-19 10.03.56.jpg

2014-10-19 10.13.50.jpg

uggggggg. I know my wood was good last year, most well under 20%. I'm hoping this was from the steel, but will have to wait till the end of season cleanout to prove if the ceramic fixed it.

If not it might be finally time to get rid of this thing... which may end up meaning no stove period as my wife has become completely soured on the idea of a woodstove in the house at all from our troubles with this beast.

On the bright side, refractory and cat look great, nothing but fine white ash in the firebox and behind the firebox... So Im keeping my fingeres crossed thats all old per-ceramic cat buildup and this year will be better.

pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeee .

2014-10-19 10.55.00.jpg 2014-10-19 10.55.10.jpg

And if you dont believe me on the wood... Also took a look at the fireplace. 3 years of burning the same wood since the last cleaning and the clay flue tiles are nearly spotless.

2014-10-19 11.31.40.jpg

I hope you are able to report that it was in fact the steel cat. That said I never did get my 1975 (New Model) to stop smoking out the chimney with both cat and of course ever-burn installed. For that matter I never got the stove to burn without crudding up the windows either. :(

Thanks again,
Glenn

Hi everyone.
Another season is upon us....what will it bring? Creosote!
I finally ordered all the parts needed for my 2550. The plan was to have the rebuild complete for the start of this season. Well, as I type I am still using my limping 0028! She is doing ok considering my makeshift fix I performed at the end of last season.
My goal now is to have the stoves swapped by Nov 30th.

I am glad J. started this thread.......I will need some guidance with my rebuild.
Happy Burning!!

My wood is almost 2 years seasoned instead of 9 months now (from last year). Have about 5 cords of wood seasoned almost 2 years now and just c\s\s another 6 cords this summer that should be nominally ready next year.

The encore has been burning better than ever. (I also have a brand new catalyst after 2 years, as the previous disintegrated last year and cracked badly the year before).

I am hoping it went bad because of wet wood... but there have been 2-3 over fire events that I know of in the past 2 years since having the stove and hope those events were more integral to cat failure then anything else...

Anyway it is 31 tonight and have only been having evening fires. Burning cotton wood which has been getting 6-7 hour burn times which i think is amazing. Stove is in the insulated finished basement as well heating 2100sq feet.

Couldn't be happier...untill it gets 10 below again. Stove works a little rough when it gets below zero temps, but right now its 85 in the basement right now and 73 upstairs.

The cotton wood I harvest off my property, but the other 5 cords plus the 6 i cut this summer are all hardwood I ordered.

Last edited:
Hi Guys - no pain to report with the Montpelier. Just did the annual cleaning of the squirrel cage fan. I had a small fire the other morning and it was rattling big time.

Looks like at least another week before I fire up again.

Gabe

Hi all. I have been thinking of getting an insert ever since last winter....open fireplace looks nice, but not very efficient. I ordered a VC Montpelier from a local dealer, and it is coming this week. I am looking forward to it, but I am a little nervous about burning for the first season. I am hoping to cut down on oil use. I have been reading some of these threads for the past week or so.....very helpful.....but I guess it's a hands on learning process. My biggest concern is quality of wood. I have about half a cord left from last winter, which looks like it is plenty dry. But since I just pulled the trigger on purchasing the insert, I had to find wood in a hurry.....I have 2 cords coming this week from someone who SAYS their wood is seasoned, but who knows. It will have to do for this season.....but I should have plenty of wood for the following season, as I am having 5 giant maples taken down from my property......will just let that season!

Hi Mr K and welcome. The new insert will smoke a bit the first few times it gets hot. You'll need to open windows. Buy a moisture meter to see just how seasoned that wood really is. If you're having any issues (stove not hot; dirty glass; smoke in the house etc) its good to know if the wood may be at fault

Most of all enjoy and best of luck with it
Gabe

Hi Mr K and welcome. The new insert will smoke a bit the first few times it gets hot. You'll need to open windows. Buy a moisture meter to see just how seasoned that wood really is. If you're having any issues (stove not hot; dirty glass; smoke in the house etc) its good to know if the wood may be at fault

Most of all enjoy and best of luck with it
Gabe
Hi Gabe, and thanks for the response. Are all moisture meters created equal? I am already prepared to split the wood smaller if I need to...
Joe

Hi guys, Since I rebuilt my 0028 Encore last year and installed new cat I had plenty time to experiment. I have come to conclusion that with my insulated liner and new cat that I must engage cat much sooner then before. Stove top temps at 350 and I close damper then my cat digital probe will start reading 350 in 30 seconds. When the digital meter shows cat at 950 - 1000 I close air half way and then 5 minutes later i close air all the way.I cleaned my liner last month and got about a quart of very fine black pepper like dust. I have no problems with it running over hot when I follow this practice

Mr. K - just noticed that you're from LI. Maybe we're neighbors.
I've had my Monte for 6 seasons. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions

My moisture meter is a 'General' from amazon. I forget how much$$. You re-split a log then jam the barbs into the fresh split face. 20% or less and you're good now. Slightly over will be good later in the season. 25% and over....next year (at least in my yard with big oaks and maples). Cue the seasoned wood police- but I have a small yard and cant stockpile too far ahead.

Regards
Gabe

Your wood from last year should burn well. But you don't have a large amount.

The wood that you have delivered will be questionable and you won' know unless you test it.

The generals consensus here is it isn't seasoned until proven otherwise.

It would be a good experiment to try: start a fire with your older wood one day, then buy some scrap non-treated discard pieces at the big box orange or blue store and try a few small loads (as these guys can really take off on you) and then try a load with just the new wood and see if you have some issues between them. Not necessary but could be interesting for ya.

If the new wood isn't seasoned it may be harder to catch fire, put out less heat, and may tend to half difficulty keeping firebox temperatures as high as the other products.

I still think you will enjoy the stove no matter what :)

Thanks for the input, gents. I am running to the big blue store at lunch today to pick up a moisture meter. Gabe, where do you get your wood from here on the island? I am hoping to find some wherever I can throughout the year, not looking to buy every year. I am on the south shore here.

Hi all....having my VC installed in the morning. Two full cords delivered this afternoon.......had to throw a big tarp over it for today, as it's been raining all day here. Keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth install...

Rebuilt my 2550 last year and it has been doing real good. Tomorrow I'm gonna order a new combustor, and digital combustion thermometer. I really enjoy this stove.

Rebuilt my 2550 last year and it has been doing real good. Tomorrow I'm gonna order a new combustor, and digital combustion thermometer. I really enjoy this stove.

You will love the digital thermometer. Only think I don't like is that the digital only stays on about 4 minutes then shuts off till u press button again. But the temp reading of the cat is GREAT to know what is going on inside. It will scare you sometimes how hot it will read the first hour if wood is very dry.

Thanks for the input, gents. I am running to the big blue store at lunch today to pick up a moisture meter. Gabe, where do you get your wood from here on the island? I am hoping to find some wherever I can throughout the year, not looking to buy every year. I am on the south shore here.
I believe they have the general mm on sale now at the big blue store. As far as getting wood, you can keep your eye on craigs list or call a local tree service- they usually will dump wood off to you if they are doing a job near you. My monti has been great for 5 years now. I made up some filters for the blower intakes to help keep the wheels clean. Good luck and happy burning!

Feel free to tell us about those filters;)
Gabe

I picked up some filter material for window unit a/c's and just cut to fit. it is held up with magnets. Its easy to remove and blow out and helps keep the dust out of the blower wheels. Since they are on the intakes, the filter media stays cool. However, if I can find black filter material that would be better.

I must have missed a reply since I didnt get any updates... glad to see so much interest.

I hope you are able to report that it was in fact the steel cat. That said I never did get my 1975 (New Model) to stop smoking out the chimney with both cat and of course ever-burn installed. For that matter I never got the stove to burn without crudding up the windows either. :(

Thanks again,
Glenn

I had the first fire last week. So far so good, got up to temp quickly and was cruising at a nice 1350 cat temp on 4 splits with only steam from the stack.
Keeping my fingers crossed for this year.

I did the math actually and even if I had a real full gallon of crud thats still less than an 1/8th in my 18ft of 6inch pipe... Unless it was all at the top. Still hoping for better this year., though I dont think Im going to ever get the half a coffee can like the Woodstock guys do.

BTW, dont worry about the windows. Every cat stove blackens the windows burned low, just ask the Blaze King guys.

Hi all. I have been thinking of getting an insert ever since last winter....open fireplace looks nice, but not very efficient. I ordered a VC Montpelier from a local dealer, and it is coming this week.

Keep us posted. The Montpelier is a traditional burn tube design so you will have non of the downdraft finickyness the rest of us fight with.

Hi guys, Since I rebuilt my 0028 Encore last year and installed new cat I had plenty time to experiment. I have come to conclusion that with my insulated liner and new cat that I must engage cat much sooner then before. Stove top temps at 350 and I close damper then my cat digital probe will start reading 350 in 30 seconds. When the digital meter shows cat at 950 - 1000 I close air half way and then 5 minutes later i close air all the way.I cleaned my liner last month and got about a quart of very fine black pepper like dust. I have no problems with it running over hot when I follow this practice

Interesting, I'd like to try that ut Ive never gotten a clean engagement with my griddle temps below 450, even on a new cat.

Where are you measuring stove top temp?.

You will love the digital thermometer. Only think I don't like is that the digital only stays on about 4 minutes then shuts off till u press button again. But the temp reading of the cat is GREAT to know what is going on inside. It will scare you sometimes how hot it will read the first hour if wood is very dry.

Agreed. A remote catalyst temp monitor is a must have on these stoves, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.