2015-2016 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the stink factor on the break ins?

I had minimal stink from the stove and the stink was more like a hot griddle burning off the pancake chunks. 2 skunks of 5. Where you have potential for more stink is the pipe. Some single wall stinks a lot. Not so much stink with double wall.

image.jpg I just lit mine for the first time. Waiting for the temp to rise so I can engage cat. Not stinky yet...........

Just engaged cat. It's getting pretty stinky now with some smoke coming off the stove topimage.jpg

Last edited:
Burn them outside first with small section of pipe.

Some folks do! Zero skunk factor that way.

Reactions: turbojoe
I have the thermostat set at about 2. The cat thermometer is at the 3oclock position. Stove top is 500 and the firebox is completely blacked out. Cat is glowing strong.

the stink wasn't bad at all. it's calming down already, but you can see where some of the stove top hasn't cured yet. the stove top above the cat and around the flue changed to a flat black. the perimeter of the stove top still didn't change. probably will need a higher stove top temp to get that paint to cure

image.jpg Maybe this picture will show the change in paint color I was talking about

Reactions: mwhitnee
Thanks Woody I'm going to start mine in 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Instructions say slowly bring to medium burn for 45 minutes. Then up to 600 for an hour.

I only have a stove top thermometer.

No real suggestions. I just built a fire like I normally would, left bypass open, Tstat set to max and left door cracked till it was established then shut door. Soon as cat was in active zone I switched bypass. Then waited a little till I turned Tstat to 3oclock. Then all the way down

Reactions: kennyp2339
the stink wasn't bad at all. it's calming down already, but you can see where some of the stove top hasn't cured yet. the stove top above the cat and around the flue changed to a flat black. the perimeter of the stove top still didn't change. probably will need a higher stove top temp to get that paint to cure
Happens over time....

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Don't forget when you reload, turn the air all the way up, open by-pass, throw splits, let them start catching, if in the active zone close the by-pass, wait 15min or until all splits are fully ablaze then turn your air down.
Right now and the next month or so your cat is going to glow fully and the needle probe will be 3 - 4 o'clock, that cat will settle off eventually

Don't forget when you reload, turn the air all the way up, open by-pass, throw splits, let them start catching, if in the active zone close the by-pass, wait 15min or until all splits are fully ablaze then turn your air down.
Right now and the next month or so your cat is going to glow fully and the needle probe will be 3 - 4 o'clock, that cat will settle off eventually
yeah right now cat is at 4 and stove top is 550.

Thanks Woody I'm going to start mine in 30 minutes. Any suggestions?

Instructions say slowly bring to medium burn for 45 minutes. Then up to 600 for an hour.

I only have a stove top thermometer.
I like your hearth, looks great

Reactions: mwhitnee
It was weird watching the flames die and not doing anything about it. My first instinct was to add air but I resisted and just watched the thermometers.

Can you explain how this works?

I am turning it with a servo driven by a RC servo tester.
The servo set up was part of an automated system i tried last year. After i gave up on the automated controller i stuck a Servo tester i had laying around on it just for the heck of it. It worked out so well it's still hanging on the wall... Each click is a very small adjustment to the stove.
I know how most feel about electronics on a stove :0 It runs on 110 volts or will run on a RC Servo battery for over a month.

20150121_124148_zpsljfxmcy8.jpg
A bit tight back there
20150120_152914_zpsiqm2y1py.jpg

Last edited:
I am turning it with a servo driven by a RC servo tester.
The servo set up was part of an automated system i tried last year. After i gave up on the automated controller i stuck a Servo tester i had laying around on it just for the heck of it. It worked out so well it's still hanging on the wall... Each click is a very small adjustment to the stove.
I know how most feel about electronics on a stove :0 It runs on 110 volts or will run on a RC Servo battery for over a month.
that's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone had one of the Durafoil cats fail? I've run the stove two nights this fall and the cat probe won't go above the 12 o'clock position with the bypass closed and the stat set on 3. Both the cat probe and flue probe have a black glaze on them. Using hardwood that has been css for over 2 years.

The face of the cat has a brown soot on it, and was clean prior to the first burn. I cleaned it with a soft brush attachment on a shop vac and there was no sign of the coating coming off or anything out of order.

Stove was purchased in Feb 2013. Nearest dealer is a couple hours away.

Thoughts?

Edit: added in the stat setting.

Last edited:
Has anyone had one of the Durafoil cats fail? I've run the stove two nights this fall and the cat probe won't go above the 12 o'clock position with the bypass closed and the stat set on 3. Both the cat probe and flue probe have a black glaze on them. Using hardwood that has been css for over 2 years.

The face of the cat has a brown "dust" on it, and was clean prior to the first burn. I cleaned it with a soft brush attachment on a shop vac and there was no sign of the coating coming off or anything out of order.

Stove was purchased in Feb 2013. Nearest dealer is a couple hours away.

Thoughts?

Edit: added in the stat setting.
is there smoke coming out of the chimney?

is there smoke coming out of the chimney?

It was dark out, but I could see some smoke coming out early in the burn. That being said, ever since I have had it, there has been some smoke occasionally.

I should also add that after closing the bypass on the last fire and with it on high, some of the cat was glowing like normal. I didn't stay up all night to keep track on the probe readings, but it looks to me that there may be an issue. Before it is asked, the door gasket is not / was not leaky.

Wish the builder put the cast iron thimble higher as there is only around 2 feet to the 90.

But the new stove drafted great with not an ounce of smoke coming in with the door open. I was really worried about that.
Awesome, so it's fired up right now?

It was weird watching the flames die and not doing anything about it. My first instinct was to add air but I resisted and just watched the thermometers.

I did the same. What a boring stove lol. Temp was dropping but probably was impatient earlier not letting the load get established . I just opened the bypass and t stat for 5 minutes and turned it back down.

It was dark out, but I could see some smoke coming out early in the burn. That being said, ever since I have had it, there has been some smoke occasionally.

I should also add that after closing the bypass on the last fire and with it on high, some of the cat was glowing like normal. I didn't stay up all night to keep track on the probe readings, but it looks to me that there may be an issue. Before it is asked, the door gasket is not / was not leaky.
I think the manual states that a lower tstat setting will result in a higher cat temp because it will be eating more smoke which raises the temp. I'm sure one of the experienced blaze king burners will give you some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.