2015-2016 Blaze King Performance thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
let me know if you get one because I want one also. BKVP told me they used up all the old stock first. maybe there is still some floating around. what I don't understand is why isn't the sticker on the opposite side and the knob swapped a 180 degrees so you could see the thing. makes no sense to me

Got a call back no stickers left, recommended that i call my local store and see if they have old stock.

My dial goes to the end of the white (wide open) and stops. It goes way behind the lowest white setting.
20150927_103113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a call back no stickers left, recommended that i call my local store and see if they have old stock.

My dial goes to the end of the white (wide open) and stops. It goes way behind the lowest white setting.View attachment 162872
yeah, mine too

The effective range is 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Anything counter clockwise past 2 o'clock makes no change as the thermostat blade is closed.

Chris

I really don't see the big deal with the sticker. It's different, I think that's the only issue here, not better or worse.
It's sure nothing to complain about! Once I figured out the stove, like day 2, I never even look at it. Ever...

I really don't see the big deal with the sticker. It's different, I think that's the only issue here, not better or worse.
It's sure nothing to complain about! Once I figured out the stove, like day 2, I never even look at it. Ever...

You answered your own question. Of course you don't see the big deal if you never look at it. I am not alone in that I look at the numbers all the time. Every time I adjust it. That's the big deal.

If my mom bought this stove she would ask me how to run it and I would tell her by using the numbers.

Even BK, just one post up, used "o'clock" reference to tell somebody how to run the BK. People use reference points for this sort of thing.

I could see numbers being helpful if one liked to turn the stove down at night for cooler sleeping and then up again during the daytime. If I had that dial I would make marks for those two set points to make results more reliably reproducible. They would also help my wife when she ran the stove.

I'm sure it probaby isn't, but i was curious about the numbers as i had no idea what people were referring to. I'm not going to lose sleep over a decal lol

Lots of adjustment :)
Makes it easy for the wife. 80% of the winter we use the first 5 set points.
This works great for a corner mounted stove. Hard to fit my big head back there and see if i am a touch above or below 1.5.. problem solved.

20150208_224235_zpsiiuho69n.jpg

Reactions: jeff_t
It's a great question. Maybe it needs its own thread so that folks with any brand cat stove can easily find the answer.

Amongst the many warnings at the beginning of the manual is a warning against using chemical cleaners in the stove.

At risk of sounding stupid the idea popped up in my head, why couldn't you just stick the csl at the very bottom of the chimney where the clean out is and burn it there? :oops:

You answered your own question. Of course you don't see the big deal if you never look at it. I am not alone in that I look at the numbers all the time. Every time I adjust it. That's the big deal.

If my mom bought this stove she would ask me how to run it and I would tell her by using the numbers.

Even BK, just one post up, used "o'clock" reference to tell somebody how to run the BK. People use reference points for this sort of thing.
And you resolved your own issue. "O'clock" is a great reference! No numbers are needed to picture that.

After all this time, why do you need to look at the numbers?

I'm ok with the numbers they sure don't bother me, neither do the lack of numbers. It's irrelevant in my opinion.

Reactions: turbojoe
I've got a numbered sticker I'd gladly sell to the first buyer! ;lol

I was just looking at the DS160 stove today which has a bimettalic thermostatic damper. BK isn't the only one but they are the only one to combine it with the rest of the package to make a superstove.

I can't wait to get home and light the stove tonight. It will be lower 60s inside and outside.
As much complaining as I do about heating this cave, I won't be needing any heat for at least a month beyond when everyone else is turning on theirs. There's something to be said for thermal mass.

Reactions: webby3650
I've got a numbered sticker I'd gladly sell to the first buyer! ;lol
Make sure to jack up the price ... want to make sure you get plenty of cheese to go with all the whine! ;lol

Just bought our princess insert. Should be installed in 2ish weeks. Is it weird that I'm excited?

Shouldn't have to make marks when you spend 3k+ on a stove

Lots of adjustment :)
Makes it easy for the wife. 80% of the winter we use the first 5 set points.
This works great for a corner mounted stove. Hard to fit my big head back there and see if i am a touch above or below 1.5.. problem solved.

View attachment 162892

Can you explain how this works?

Super dry load of pine splits (4) at 8" thick x 18" long were loaded in the stove yesterday @ 5pm, woke up to an active cat (10 o'clock position) and just a few coals, air setting was at 2 O'clock (for you new stove owners)
This in my opinion was a successful burn, all pine that was around 14% (huge pieces that were as lite as a feather)
I cant wait for the cold to come so I can switch to my 3 year old oak, maple, ash, birch and cherry.

Super dry load of pine splits (4) at 8" thick x 18" long were loaded in the stove yesterday @ 5pm, woke up to an active cat (10 o'clock position) and just a few coals, air setting was at 2 O'clock (for you new stove owners)
This in my opinion was a successful burn, all pine that was around 14% (huge pieces that were as lite as a feather)
I cant wait for the cold to come so I can switch to my 3 year old oak, maple, ash, birch and cherry.
There's one important piece of info missing, what time did you wake up?

4:50am est

That's amazing to me. I can't wait to experience these long burn times

Gets boring after a while. Load stove, wait a few minutes, close bypass and set thermostat, rinse, repeat in 12-48 hours.

Sometimes it gets a little entertaining when there's a ton of coals left and you have to burn them down. You pile them up at the front and put a stick or two on top, and it looks like a real fire when you have the thermostat wide open.

Reactions: Ashful and jeff_t
You'll definitely want to open some windows. Have a fan ready to help blow the fumes out, and do it when no one else is home, especially if you have little ones.

Too late for you, but I stuck a 6' piece of pipe in mine and burned it outside a few times.

skunk1.jpg
Lots of windows and two ceiling fans in this room. I'll be fine with it but just don't want the house to stink all night cuz I'll never hear the end of it from the gf.

I want to start it today so by the end of the weekend it will be good to go! I just ordered a firewood rack for the back door too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.